Police investigating Joey Barton 'tunnel attack' arrest man on suspicion of racially aggravated assault

Police investigating Joey Barton 'tunnel attack' arrest man on suspicion of racially aggravated assault

POLICE investigating Joey Barton's alleged 'tunnel attack' on Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel have arrested a man on suspicion of a racially aggravated assault.

Stendel, 45, who is from Frankfurt in Germany, is believed to have had two teeth knocked out in the incident.

A South Yorkshire Police statement said: "Officers investigating an incident at Barnsley Football Club on Saturday 13 April 2019 have arrested a man on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offence and racially aggravated assault.

"The man attended at a police station and was arrested today, Wednesday 17 April. He remains in police custody for questioning.

"We would ask members of the media and the public to refrain from speculation in relation to this incident as it could potentially harm the investigation.

"Enquiries into the incident are ongoing."

Cops appealed for witnesses who may have seen what happened in the tunnel following Barnsley's 4-2 win at Oakwell last weekend.

Sky Sports footage showed police physically preventing Barton, 36, from leaving the ground when he tried to exit in his car.

Barnsley confirmed yesterday that they had filed a formal complaint to the EFL and FA surrounding the alleged incident between Barton and Stendel.

A statement on their website read: "Barnsley Football Club can confirm that it has lodged a formal complaint to both the English Football League and the Football Association.

"This is following an alleged incident at the conclusion of the match on Saturday 13th April, between Joey Barton and Daniel Stendel.

"The Club is also currently working with the police and assisting with all enquiries regarding the incident.

"No further comment will be issued whilst police investigations are ongoing."

Cameras caught Barton attempting to leave Oakwell quickly.

But his black car was stopped by a man who literally pressed his hands against the bonnet.

Barton, who starred for teams including Man City, Newcastle and Rangers during his 15-year-playing career, agreed to go with police for questioning.

Source: Read Full Article