Jarrell Miller vows to make Anthony Joshua latest Brit to flop Stateside 'like Amir Khan and Prince Naseem'

The unified world champion will defend his WBA, WBO, and IBF heavyweight belts against 'Big Baby' Miller at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 1.


Joshua, 29, frustrated fans when he announced he would make his US debut after failing to agree a Wembley fight against either Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury or Dillian Whyte.

AJ is the heavy favourite against the Brooklyn Brawler, who has racked up 23 wins out of 24 fights, with 20 victories coming by way of knockout.

Despite this, Miller has drawn parallels between his fight with Joshua and Buster Douglas' shocking 1990 upset of Mike Tyson at the Tokyo Dome.

He said: “I think it will be between the same lines, but you look at all the Brit’s over the years that did well but as soon as they come to America they get smashed.



“Whether that’s Prince Naseem, Amir Khan the tale goes back, there’s a lot of Brit’s that come on American soil and get smashed.

“They do great at home, but when they come over to America it’s a different story. He’s made a big mistake.

“His team are in unfamiliar territory, he’s got to step out his comfort zone and do certain things and protein shakes won’t help.

“I’ve been the underdog before and proved myself many times. AJ thinks he’s going to come over and run over me? Never happened, and never will."


Khan, who hasn't fought since his devastating knockout loss in Las Vegas to Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in May 2016, admitted later that the fight was a mistake.

Before that, a complacent Prince Naseem, was considered the best 126lb boxer in the world before he was humbled in a 12-round clinic to Marco Antonio Barrera.

Promoter Eddie Hearn had reportedly offered Dillian Whyte a £4million payout to face Joshua at Wembley as a 'Plan B' after failing to land both Wilder and Fury.

Miller added: “I thought the Dillian Whyte fight was what he really wanted, but AJ was trying to be cheap and they didn’t want to pay Dillian Whyte the offer he wanted.

“AJ has a funny way of negotiating when he’s losing, he tries to put in contacts where he rules over the rematch.

“So when I knockout AJ on my rematch he wants to have the majority and Whyte didn’t want that.

“If I’m the champ and I beat you, I call the shots – what happens on the undercard, negotiations – but AJ didn’t want that, so that’s why the Dillian Whyte fight fell through.

“On my part, I have a good network in DAZN, and Matchroom and Eddie Hearn wanted to make the fight.

“It was never about the money, but the same time the money was there and I know what I’m gonna bring to AJ to get the rematch going.

“It was spoken about for about a month and a half but I just wasn’t super excited about it – I’ll be real.

“But the paperwork came through about a week and a half ago, and I was like ‘Okay, this might be happening’.

“AJ was like ‘I’m not doing this, I’m not doing that’ but DAZN said they could agree it.

Source: Read Full Article

Bill Cosby vows ‘no remorse’, even if he sits in prison for 10 years

Bill Cosby is shedding light on his day-to-day life behind bars and, according to his spokesman, it's not so bad.

Bill Cosby in court in September last year.Credit:AP

Cosby also said he has "no remorse" and never will, and compared himself to the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela and other "political prisoners".

"My political beliefs, my actions of trying to humanise all races, genders and religions landed me in this place surrounded by barb-wire fencing, a room made of steel and iron," Cosby later added in a statement about his prison experience so far.

"I now have a temporary residence that resembles the quarters of some of the greatest political prisoners… I stand upright as a political prisoner and I smile. The truth is strong."

Cosby was sentenced to three to 10 years in a Pennsylvania state prison following his April 2018 conviction for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand at his home outside Philadelphia in 2004.

"Right now I'm his only visitor outside of his attorneys, and that's the way he wants it," Wyatt said, noting that Cosby's wife Camille hasn't seen him in prison because "he doesn't want her to visit him".

But Wyatt said that prison has accomplished something his wife has tried to do for 55 years – get Cosby to stop drinking coffee. The spokesman also noted that the former Jello pitchman has lost weight after giving up bread and dessert.

Bill Cosby arriving at court with his wife, Camille.Credit:AP

When asked how Cosby was surviving behind bars, Wyatt explained that Cosby was a mentally strong man.

"When I visit him, it's nothing sad about it," Wyatt said. "He's not sad. He's not remorseful because he did nothing wrong."

In his statement, Cosby explained "why I have no remorse and will never have remorse".

He reiterated his argument, which he has made for more than three years and through two trials, that he was not charged in 2005 in connection with Constand's allegations and he later settled her civil suit against him for nearly $4 million.

He believes he was later prosecuted by a corrupt district attorney and judge, "not for justice, but for their political aspirations," and launched a campaign to get a state judicial ethics board to investigate the judge who presided over his trials.

Cosby is also appealing both his sentence and conviction.

USA Today, with staff writers

Source: Read Full Article

Russia vows not to shoot dozens of polar bears terrorising Arctic town

Russia vows not to shoot dozens of polar bears after they invaded an Arctic town and ‘chased terrified residents’ amid fears plan to relocate predators will end in disaster

  • More than 50 polar bears invaded town on Novaya Zemlya archipelago in Russia
  • Russian officials are preparing an urgent operation to remove the predators
  • They have vowed not to shoot animals and will transport them to new location
  • But a WWF expert in Russia warned plan to relocate them will not end in disaster 

Russia has vowed not to shoot dozens of polar bears terrorising an Arctic town amid fears a plan to relocate the predators will end in disaster.

Officials are preparing an urgent operation to sedate and remove the 52 bears after they invaded Belushya Guba on Russia’s Novaya Zemlya archipelago and started ‘chasing’ frightened locals.

The beasts will be transported a long distance away from the town – but critics of the scheme warn they could rapidly come back.

Extraordinary pictures and video show how people are living in fear in the settlement with polar bears stalking apartment blocks and scavenging at dumps.

Russia has vowed not to shoot dozens of polar bears terrorising an Arctic town amid fears a plan to relocate the predators will end in disaster. More than a dozen polar bears are pictured searching through a pile of rubbish amid a state of emergency and fears that the animals no longer feel scared of patrols

Invasion: A polar bear prowls inside a building, one of more than 50 of the endangered animals who have been terrorising residents in a remote Arctic archipelago in Russia 

The head of the local settlement said that Russia’s nature conservancy agency Rosprirodnadzor – which bans slaughtering the endangered wild animals – is sending a team to the remote islands to sedate and move the animals.

‘We have introduced a state of emergency in the settlements for an unlimited time,’ said Zhigansha Musin.


  • Fundraiser behind Right-wing ‘young conservatives’ group…


    Google is accused of doing a deal with Russia to censor…

Share this article

‘We asked Rosprirodnadzor to provide us with people. They will catch the bears.

‘The predators will be put to sleep and taken out of the settlement. We will not shoot them. We already have a group of four people.’

The operation to clear the town of polar bears should begin within days after the specialists fly in on Tuesday, he said.

Aggressive: A polar bear at a playground on the Novaya Zemlya archipelago in northern Russia, with parents left worried about sending their children to schools and kindergartens

Lurking: One of the polar bears, who cannot legally be shot because they are endangered 

On Sunday his deputy Aleksandr Minayev warned that residents are ‘afraid to go outside’ and ‘daily life is in turmoil’.

‘Parents are wary of letting children to go to schools and kindergartens,’ he said.

Footage shows the bears entering apartment blocks.

But a WWF expert in Russia blamed the country’s defence ministry – which controls the territory around the settlement – for failing to act sooner.

And he forecast the plan to move the bears would end in disaster.

‘Everyone knew this might happen,’ said Mikhail Stishov, WWF coordinator for Arctic biodiversity projects.

‘There are many more polar bears on shores because of lengthy absence of ice.

‘They come to the shore, attracted by human settlements which they specially like when the rubbish disposal system is not set up properly.’

Archipelago authorities had known a problem was coming, he said.

But the Defence Ministry earlier banned WWF experts from visiting the restricted military area, he said.

Presence: Two of the dozens of polar bears regularly spotted in the area. People are ‘afraid to go outside’ and ‘daily life is in turmoil’, a local official said 

He warned: ‘It’s not at all cheap and easy, to sedate and move them away.

‘We have to transport them really far, because if we just take them some 20, 30 kilometres they will be be back very soon to an area which they know has food.

‘So we are talking about a minimum of a two or three hour flight to the other side of the island.

‘And of course it will be next to impossible to move all 50 bears. But if the scientists identity a pack of leaders, or the most daring bears, then taking just them away might be worth trying.

‘The experts who will travel there have all necessary equipment and means to solve the problem.’

Alexey Kokorin, head of the WWF climate programme, said: ‘These are males, because females and cubs are hibernating.

‘But in fact both males and females see humans for just one thing – food.

Playground: One of the animals roams around a Russian yard on the Arctic archipelago 

‘I think there is no other animal like polar bears that so deliberately chases humans.

‘Once they see these strange-looking two-legged seals, they know ‘Ok, this is food’.’

Musin said: ‘I have been in Novaya Zemlya since 1983, yet I’ve never seen such a massive polar bear invasion.’

The animals are ‘literally chasing people and even entering the entrances of residential buildings’.

Shooting in the air, sounding car horns and erecting fences have all failed so far to quell the bar invasion.

Russian laws forbid the slaughter of polar bears except in specific cases where they attack humans.

The besieged town is five miles from a Russian military base.

Some experts say climate change is to blame for the bears behaviour – because the ocean is no longer frozen. 

Source: Read Full Article

Hawks star Tom Mitchell vows to bounce back

Hawthorn star Tom Mitchell has vowed to bounce back after undergoing surgery to repair the broken left leg he suffered at training on Friday.

The reigning Brownlow medallist posted several images on Instagram after the operation to thank everyone for their support following the injury.

He also declared that he would resume his career as soon as possible, although he remains unlikely to play this year.

"The highs and lows can change in a second but I am up for another challenge and will be back out there in no time," Mitchell said.

The 25-year-old broke both his tibia and fibula in the incident. The club immediately called an ambulance, with paramedics treating him on the field before taking him to Epworth Hospital.

The injury is a major blow to the Hawks as they look to build on last year's impressive rebound which saw them finish the home and away season in the top four.

Mitchell is the team's best player, having won the Brownlow Medal to complement back-to-back best and fairests and All-Australian selection.

The club has until March 15 to add a rookie to their list to replace the ball magnet.

Meanwhile Melbourne, who defeated Hawthorn in the semi-finals last year, also resumed training on Saturday as they look to put themselves in premiership contention. The Demons made a preliminary final last season after more than a decade in the September wilderness.

All clubs will be back training on Monday as they complete their mandated pre-season break.

Source: Read Full Article

Civil servant stands by fiance who raped pregnant woman

EXCLUSIVE: Senior Inland Revenue civil servant stands by fiance who raped heavily pregnant woman and celebrated engagement in pub just days before being jailed for nine years

  • Gavin Carey was jailed today for nine years for raping a heavily pregnant woman 
  • His fiancee Lisa Finn told the court in a statement that she was standing by him 
  • Miss Finn, 41, an HMRC manager, said she was doing so ‘with good reason, he’s a good man’
  • Carey’s victim said she desperately tried to protect her baby bump during the attack at a house
  • After a jury found him guilty, Carey, 28, proposed to his partner, a civil servant
  • The couple celebrated with an engagement and farewell party at their local pub in Washington, Tyne and Wear, on Sunday

A senior civil servant at the Inland Revenue today vowed to stand by her fiance as he was jailed for nine years for raping a heavily-pregnant woman.

Gavin Carey, 28, ignored his victim’s desperate pleas that her unborn child could be hurt as he carried out the shocking attack, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

He was convicted of rape following a trial in October and the court heart how his victim desperately tried to protect her baby bump during the attack at a house.

After a jury found him unanimously guilty, Carey proposed to his partner Lisa Finn, a manager at HMRC, who told the court in a statement: ‘I will stand by him with good reason.’

Lisa Finn, a senior civil servant at the Inland Revenue today vowed to stand by her fiance Gavin Carey (both pictured) as he was jailed for nine years for raping a heavily-pregnant woman

Carey, 28, (pictured today at court) ignored his victim’s desperate pleas that her unborn child could be hurt as he carried out the shocking attack, Newcastle Crown Court heard


Miss Finn, who has worked for HMRC for 25 years, filed a statement to the court about her rapist fiancé in which she said she was standing by him ‘with good reason, he is a good man’ 


  • EXCLUSIVE – ‘He DIDN’T rape her’ Father of British cyclist…


    Black cab rapist John Worboys puts his £250,000 North London…

Share this article

Miss Finn watched on in court as Carey was jailed and ordered to sign the sex offenders register for life.

He was sentenced just days after hosting an ‘engagement and farewell’ party with Miss Finn in a function room at their local pub in Washington, Tyne and Wear.

The couple hired a DJ and put on a buffet for around 30 friends and family in a room decorated with banners and balloons for the party, which began at 12pm on Sunday.

One source with knowledge of the party said: ‘A number of civil servants were in attendance. It is wrong that civil servants are condoning this disgusting crime.’

Yesterday at Newcastle Crown Court Judge Sarah Mallet told Carey: ‘You got on top of her and you raped her.

Carey was jailed for nine years today and made to sign the sex offenders register for life

‘She tried to tell you you were hurting the baby, as she tried to wriggle away.’

The court heard Carey, who is a musician, met Miss Finn just before he was interviewed over the rape allegation.

Miss Finn, who has worked for HMRC for 25 years, filed a statement to the court about her rapist fiancé.

The 41-year-old said: ‘Even though Gavin is much younger than myself, he is very mature.

‘He has family values, is hard working and will help anyone.’

She added that she is a ‘good judge of character’ who has her own car and home and is independent.

She said: ‘If Gavin wasn’t in my life I would be heartbroken, plans to marry and have babies would be ruined.

‘Gavin means everything to me and that is why I am committed to him.

‘He has brought so much positivity to my life.

‘I will stand by him for good reason, he is a good man.’

His victim said in an impact statement: ‘I think about it every single day. It has changed me as a person. My priority was to protect my baby bump.

Carey (pictured arriving at court today with Miss Finn) was sentenced just days after hosting an ‘engagement and farewell’ party with his fiancee at a pub in Washington, Tyne and Wear

The couple hired a DJ and put on a buffet for around 30 friends and family in a room decorated with banners and balloons for the party, which began at 12pm on Sunday

‘I keep replaying it over and over again in my head, thinking what I could have done differently so this wouldn’t have happened.’

The woman said Carey had ‘crazed, focused and determined’ eyes during the attack and added: ‘I don’t think I will ever forget that image’.

She said she cried for days after the attack and added: ‘I kept apologising to my baby bump and cried every time I thought about it.

‘To do that to someone at their most vulnerable is disgusting and low.

‘After my baby was born I felt so guilty. I felt it was an attack on both of us.’

Cathy McCulloch, defending, said Carey, who was supported by family and friends at court, was a ‘confident and kind’ person.

Miss McCulloch said Carey will co-operate with the authorities while serving his sentence despite the fact he continues to deny his guilt over the attack. 

 

Source: Read Full Article