The family of the British teenager missing in Malaysia have issued an emotional appeal, as local police probe fingerprints found in her hotel room.
Nora Quoirin, 15, from London, disappeared from a resort near the Berembun Forest Reserve in the west of Malaysia on Sunday.
Police initially insisted there was "no evidence" of foul play, but today admitted Nora could've been abducted after the discovery of the unidentified fingerprints.
Che Zakaria Othman, deputy police chief in the state of Negeri Sembilan, said that a forensic team was now examining the prints.
He declined to give further details, but did say the investigation includes a possible "criminal element".
In an emotional video statement released today, Nora's family said they remained hopeful the schoolgirl can be found.
Speaking on behalf of Nora's parents, Nora's aunt said: "We are completely overwhelmed by the support we have received from all over the world.
"This is extremely traumatic for the whole family.
"[Nora's parents] Meabh and Sebastien are devastated and too upset to speak themselves at this time.
"But we must remain hopeful.
"And we ask everyone to keep Nora in their thoughts, and to continue to support the ongoing search for her.
"Nora is still missing, and she is very vulnerable, and we need to do everything we can to bring her home."
She thanked the Royal Malaysian Police Force, the search and rescue teams, the local community, hotel staff, and the embassies in Malaysia for everything they had done to help find Nora.
She also thanked the Lucie Blackman Trust, a charity that helps Brits hit by crises overseas, for their support.
'SHE WOULDN'T WANDER OFF'
Nora's parents discovered her missing on Sunday morning after putting her to bed wearing only her undergarments the night before.
The family had arrived just a day earlier for a two-week "trip of a lifetime" at the resort, which sits 39 miles south of the capital Kuala Lumpur.
In a written statement yesterday, Nora's parents dismissed the idea that she had wandered off of her own accord.
"Nora's family believe she has been abducted," it said.
"We are especially worried because Nora has learning and developmental disabilities, and is not like other 15-year-olds.
"She looks younger, she is not capable of taking care of herself and she won't understand what is going on.
"She never goes anywhere by herself.
"We have no reason to believe she wandered off and is lost."
But until today local police had continued to treat the disappearance only as a missing persons case.
Police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop said previously: "We have no clues, no evidence to say this case is abduction.
"We will do our very best. We will not give up hope.
"We believe that she didn't go far and that she had lost her way."
RESORT STAFF 'PRAYING HARD'
Haanim Bamadhaj, a spokesman for the Dusun resort, where the family were due to be staying, said the resort's management was baffled by Nora's disappearance.
Resort staff and even some guests had earlier joined in the search.
Bamadhaj said: "Our resort has been operating for 10 years and we have never even been robbed.
"We are doing our very best and praying hard."
Following Nora's disappearance, she said some guests had cancelled their bookings and that the resort had provided full refunds.
Access to the site has been blocked due to the search operation.
Villagers who joined in the search expressed concern over the missing girl's fate.
Bali anak Akau said: "This particular jungle, for outsiders, they don't know how to navigate, they get lost.
"Natives like me, we are used to this jungle."
A member of staff at the hotel told The Sun Online there is "no way of knowing" whether the window in Nora's room was opened from the outside or the inside.
The area is not covered by CCTV.
APPEAL FOR INFORMATION
The family had been due to spend two weeks on the 12-acre Dusun Resort next to the Berembun Forest Reserve – 4,000 acres of protected forest rising to 3,900 feet.
The forest has wild boar, deer, giant millipedes, monkeys and leeches, according to the resort's website.
There are two small villages near the resort where the majority of residents work in farming.
Nora is understood to have been travelling on an Irish passport.
A spokesman for Ireland's Department of Foreign Affairs said: "We are aware of the case and providing consular assistance."
The family has set up an email address where information can be passed on at [email protected]
The Lucie Blackman Trust charity has also provided a hotline and email address for information.
People can remain anonymous and can call +448000988485 or email [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article