Caroline Flack's friends tell inquest she attempted suicide day before her death

Caroline Flack attempted to take her own life the night before she died but would not go to the hospital, an inquest has heard.

Friends of the former Love Island host told Poplar Crown Court that Flack texted them on the night of February 14 that she was going to kill herself.

Mollie Grosberg explained via videolink that she and Louise Teasdale found Flack, 40, barely conscious on her sofa, surrounded by tablets.

They called the non-emergency 111 number, but then phoned for an ambulance an hour later when it did not arrive.

She told the inquest that paramedics arriving on the scene asked Flack if she attempted suicide but she said: ‘No, I had a headache.’

Grosberg said: ‘We were obviously very scared about getting the police involved. She was trying to explain.

‘It was agreed she wasn’t going (to hospital) and I got very angry and shouted, I said this was ridiculous.

‘They (paramedics) said: “She doesn’t want to go … you are going to have to do some babysitting”.’

She continued: ‘Every time I left her for half an hour she would do something. It feels like she needed help.

‘She must’ve said “no-one will ever understand what I’m going through” ten times that morning.

‘She was so scared to go to prison, of the police, the press … it was too much. All she cared about was everybody else being affected.’

Paramedic Tony Rumoure was called to Flack’s Stoke Newington flat, and said that the TV star denied trying to kill herself.

He told the court: ‘At that time she could stand up, she was alert, she was slightly lethargic. She wasn’t slurring her words and was able to get her words out.

‘We asked them to disclose what she had taken, they said she had taken tablets. She said there was no alcohol that night and denied taking anything else.

‘We asked Caroline if her intention was to harm or kill herself, she said it was merely an attempt to sleep and escape from the stresses she was under.’

Mr Rumore said that he advised Flack to go with them to the hospital but she was adamant that she would not be going. 

He suggested that friends stay with her for the night and said Flack agreed to go to her GP the following morning. 

He added that Flack could not be detained under the Mental Health Act, saying: ‘She could be sectioned if she was in a public place, but in her own place of safety she could not be detained – she was in her own home at the time.’

Ms Teasdale told the court that the next day, she left the flat at around 10.30am, with Flack angry at them for calling an ambulance over their concerns that she had ‘clearly had a breakdown’.

She said: ‘Caroline spoke to her family about coming the next day because she wanted us to leave, she was quite angry with us. She didn’t want us there.

‘We were always nervous to call the police because she didn’t trust the police, and she didn’t want anything to come out to the public which looked like she was having a breakdown.’

On February 15, Flack’s lifeless body was found after Lou Teasdale’s father Stephen and Caroline’s twin sister Jody gained entry to the flat. 

Jody performed CPR on her sister for around ten minutes before the police arrived, with paramedic David O’Toole saying Flack had been dead for a number of hours. 

Pathologist Professor Michael Sheaff found Flack died from hanging.

Source: Read Full Article