My leg had to be amputated after a freak accident while running in the yard with my kids – it destroyed me emotionally | The Sun

A MOM who tripped over in her yard while playing with her kids dislocated her knee and ended up having to have her leg amputated.

Deanna Crump, 31, was running around with her children – Isaac, one, and Jerry, three – on August 14th when she tripped and fell, dislocating her right knee.

Crump, who lives in Down River, Michigan, described how she looked down to see her leg "hanging there" before being rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.

"I just tripped and looked down. I was in extreme pain and my leg was just hanging there," she says.

"We called 911 and the ambulance came and picked me up as my husband, Jerry was at home with the kids. It wasn't like he could pack the car and take them."

Doctors discovered Crump had fractured both bones that connect to her knee and had multiple torn ligaments and damaged arteries.


Mystery as double amputee found slain in field by father & son on 4-wheelers

They were also unable to find a pulse in her leg and foot.

This led to emergency surgery – trying to get the blood flowing back into her leg – where they discovered she also had blood clots.

Crump underwent another procedure in an attempt to remove the clots, but it proved unsuccessful and she had to undergo yet another surgery.

It wasn’t until her third operation that medics were successful in repairing her arteries and she regained the pulse and flood flow in her leg and foot.

Most read in Fabulous


I've found the perfect dress from Shein – it's giving total Chanel vibes


I’ve done a whole winter without heating – eight tips for staying warm


I wanted to be cool so I got my eyebrows laminated – now I look like Mr Bean


Our girl left school at 11 – Tyson wanted her to stay but it's the traveller way

Unfortunately, there were complications and Crump began to internally bleed, which led her to have her fourth surgery where the doctor accidentally nipped an artery in her stomach.

As a result, she lost so much blood that she nearly died and had to undergo a blood transfusion.

This time they discovered several more blood clots and she once again lost the pulse in her leg and foot.

Her foot and toes started "turning black" and she was told by medical professionals that her leg was "dying" – as the blood flow stopped pumping to it and the bottom started to change color.

"When I first got to the hospital, they were trying anything and everything they could to get the pulse back in my foot – as I still had feeling in my leg and toes," she shares.

After a week, doctors told her there was nothing more they could do.

"I got there, and they gave me a CT scan right away, they said there was nothing they could do for me," she explains. "My foot and toes were turning black, and my leg was dead."

Crump underwent an operation to have her leg amputated below her right knee.

"They said they would either have to amputate above or below the knee – they decided above the knee is what they had to amputate," she adds.

The mother of two was given 45 minutes to process the news before she was rushed to surgery.

"It destroyed me, all I kept thinking was 'is this my life?" she reveals.

After being in the hospital for a week, the doctors decided there is nothing more they could do for her and she was transferred to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

Crump was in surgery for five-and-a-half hours, she then spent six days in ICU and got moved into the outer ICU for three days, before leaving Henry Ford Hospital on August 30.

"Honestly, the nurses at the hospital made it better, it was an up-and-down rollercoaster of emotions," Crump insists. "They wanted me to get up and out of bed and I was there yelling saying I couldn't, but I did it and when I did, I was very happy."

Now learning to live without her limb, she is living one day at a time.

"I am super thankful to be alive and to be at home with my husband and kids," says the stay-at-home mom.

Crump is expected to be fitted with a prosthetic by the end of the year and says since returning home it has been a "rollercoaster of emotions" for her and her family.

"Right now, I am on the rollercoaster ride going up, I can finally look at myself in the mirror and I didn't look at it for two days after the surgery," she says.

"When I got home, I had a few bad days at first, lying in bed all day and crying. But over the last week or so I am starting to feel better… getting up and going outside again with my family," Crump explains.

"The day we came home it was nothing but sunshine and then halfway home it was like a monsoon, pouring down with rain – it was a beautiful mess," she explains. "I did not care. I was so happy to be home."

Crump now does physical therapy twice a week.

"Emotionally, I am destroyed over it. Physically, I am over a month post-amputation, and I am still in pain every day," Crump declares.

She has set up a GoFundMe page, where she has so far raised over $18,000 to put towards house renovations and supporting the family while her husband Jerry, a 38-year-old kindergarten teacher, is off work caring for her.

"We have a very small house. Our insurance isn't too good, and we needed so much stuff, like a ramp, a walker and to get the house ready for when I came home, she states.

"We also needed enough money for my husband to be able to stay at home and look after the kids."

Crump says that the money will also go towards making her car hand accessible when she can start driving and making her house more accessible.

"Probably, taking a wall down so I can get around easier and creating a new front porch," she shares. "There is no end cap, everything we have gotten so far, we have greatly appreciated."

Source: Read Full Article