IF you take away the grand gestures, chocolate boxes and over-priced flowers – Valentine's Day is really just about telling your partner how you feel.
Don't panic, if you're lost for words look no further, we've pulled together the best tips on how best to drop the L bomb.
It's very easy to over-complicate things, sometimes you're better off just keeping it simple.
Tell your wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend or secret love interest something that you love about them.
You don't have to be an award-winning wordsmith to make that special someone smile or feel appreciated.
But, if you feel like you could do with a bit of padding we've gathered a few romantic poems.
If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.
Loved you once, love you still,
Loved you then, and always will.
L is for 'laughter' we had along the way.
O is for 'optimism' you gave me every day.
V is for 'value' of being my best friend.
E is for 'eternity,' a love that has no end.
I love you every day, not just on Valentine's Day
You are my sun, my moon and all my stars.
Valentine's Day quotes
If soppy isn't your thing, you can't go wrong with a bit of humour with these quotes…
- "If you can stay in love for more than two years you're on something" – Fran Lebowitz
- "Today is Valentine's Day. Or, as men like to call it, Extortion day." – Jay Leno
- "I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon." – Anonymous
- "Valentine's Day money-saving tip: Break up on February 13th, get back together on the 15th." – David Letterman
- "I wanted to make it really special on Valentine’s Day, so I tied my boyfriend up. And for three solid hours I watched whatever I wanted on TV" – Tracy Smith
- "If you‘re alone during Valentine’s day, it is priceless for you. Otherwise you would spend a few hundred pounds" – Unknown
- "Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties." – Jules Renard
- "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." – Oscar Wilde
- "Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There’s too much fraternising with the enemy." – Henry Kissinger
- "A guy knows he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a couple of days" – Tim Allen
- "Marry a man your own age; as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight." – Phyllis Diller
- "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." – Charles M. Schulz
- "Without Valentine’s Day, February would be…well, January." – Jim Gaffigan
And these short verses could be for you if you're not into romance.
They're guaranteed to make your significant other chuckle and won't make either of you cringe.
I love your smile, your face, and your eyes.
Damn, I’m good at telling lies!
My love, you take my breath away.
What have you stepped in to smell this way?
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Even though you have selective hearing,
I still love you.
Famous quotes about love and romance
But if you love the schmaltzy magic of Valentine's Day, then these quotes may come in handy…
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." – Lao Tzu
- “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." – Victor Hugo
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world." – Lucille Ball
- “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “The most desired gift of love is not diamonds or roses or chocolate. It is focused attention.” – Richard Warren
- “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." – Helen Keller
- “Love is, in fact, an intensification of life, a completeness, a fullness, a wholeness of life." – Thomas Merton
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “In order to be happy oneself it is necessary to make at least one other person happy." – Theodor Reik
- “We always believe our first love is our last, and our last love our first." – George W. Melville
- “Everyone in life is gonna hurt you, you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain." – Erica Baican
- “Age does not protect you from love but love to some extent love protects you from age." – Jeanne Moreau
- “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly." – Sam Keen
- “The art of love is largely the art of persistence." – Albert Ellis
- “True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked." – Erich Segal
Source: Read Full Article