Boozy husband, 71, leaves wife, 87, in ‘pool of blood’ after bingo hall bust up

A boozy pensioner left his frail older wife of 40 years in a pool of blood during an attack in a bingo hall during a day out.

George Cressey, 71, from Bransholme in Kingston upon Hull,  shoved his wife off her seat and to the ground whilst the pair were sitting at a table outside Buzz Bingo hall in Hull.

Hull Crown Court heard Mrs Cressey suffered a bloodied nose and broken shoulder bone as she lay in a "pool of blood".

CCTV evidence played in the courtroom showed Cressey pushing his wife to the floor and then walking off on March 19 last year, Hull Live reports.

Jurors heard she ended up on morphine for the severe pain and injury caused and now lives separately from her husband in supported accommodation following the vicious attack.

  • Man 'stabbed disabled great-uncle, 80, to death and left him in pool of blood'

  • Cowboy builders leave elderly couple with half a living room wall knocked down

Prosecuting, Phillip Evans said: "[The victim], now a lady of 87-years-old, and the defendant has gone to Buzz Bingo hall for the day to play bingo. They had a convivial day, with each of them partaking in alcoholic liquor at the bingo hall.

"At around 3.30pm, [the victim] went to sit outside and was joined by the defendant and the events that unfolded were then captured on CCTV.

"Staff were left in distress to see Mrs Cressey covered in blood and laying in a pool of blood and were astonished that the defendant paid little heed to the condition of his wife, but he did go in the ambulance with her to Hull Royal Infirmary, where he gave abuse about remarks made about the claimant's condition.

"[The victim] had little recollection of what took place, but following the push by the defendant, Mrs Cressey struck the bridge of her nose on the table edge and this caused a cut.

"In the fall she also sustained a fracture to her humerus where it connects with the shoulder. Dr Benjamin Lambert confirmed that the fracture was in the arm bone close to the shoulder and facial injuries due to cuts and bruises.

"The facial wound was closed with tape and Mrs Cressey was admitted to hospital for observation to see how the fracture healed.

"She was treated with a sling but the pain was indeed severe as the pain relief for her included prescribing morphine.

"The physiotherapists were first unable to at first carry out an assessment as Mrs Cressey was in too much pain.

"In the end, it was thought right to discharge Mrs Cressey to Thornton Court, an assisted living unit where her needs could be met.

"Whilst Mrs Cressey was at Thornton Court, the defendant arrived inebriated and wanted money but was sent away. This was the only occasion, almost a year ago, when contact has taken place.

  • Grief-stricken family unable to mourn barmaid because they can't afford her funeral

"Mrs Cressey has also not enjoyed the best of health and survived a heart attack and was left with high blood pressure as a result.

"The injury had a substantial impact on Mrs Cressey, who was vulnerable by reason of her age, which meant the injury sustained caused more harm than it would to someone younger and more able bodied".

The court heard a victim personal statement could not be obtained from the police as her mental and physical health declined after the attack.

Mrs Cressey became depressed and even frailer after she stopped eating, according to Constable Christine Hunter who gave this evidence in the witness stand.

The court also heard that Cressey had a previous criminal history, including arrests for being drunk and disorderly and also issues with his level of alcohol consumption.

In a pre-sentence report written by the probation service, Cressey said that there was "nothing wrong with him or his lifestyle" and that he had "no reason to change" and was "not going to".

Defending Cressey, who admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm, David Godfrey said that the nasty attack was an "accident" and that the defendant had pleaded guilty after being "shocked" to see the CCTV footage.

"The defendant's initial representation was that it was an accident and a misunderstanding and when I showed him the CCTV he was shocked and entered a guilty plea," he said.

"He was horrified and there was a degree of confusion as to what happened. In the last 12 months his health has deteriorated significantly and it seems that his wife was his strength in the relationship as she sorted his life out, and he has since become isolated.

"He doesn't have any clear understanding as to why he did it and one factor could be that it was committed whilst in drink and that could add to the confusion at the time. Through me, he wants to express his severe regret.

"It is a tragedy that the couple have been together more than 40 years and have now not seen each other in more than a year after the relationship has broken down.

"Mr Cressey is a man who may express resistance to help of the probation service and is stuck in his ways at 71-years-old and lives alone, but it is plain he would benefit from help from probabation.

"He has been in custody for the last nine days after missing a court date and it has hit him hard.

"The man barely struggles to get by on his own and probation service intervention would have a significant impact on his life, especially if his drinking can be addressed and I ask you to hold back from a custodial sentence".

Judge David Tremberg ordered that Cressey speak with the probation officer in court to see if he would accept help from them, or else face time behind bars.

After a break for the defendant to speak with probation, Cressey was brought back to the dock where he changed his mind and said that he would want help from the service rather than going to prison.

Sentencing Cressey to nine months suspended for two years, along with a 40 day rehabilitation order, Judge Tremberg said that he showed a "callous lack of care" after the attack and caused his wife "great pain", but spared him jail.

Addressing Cressey, he said: "You are 71-years-old and fall to be sentenced for inflicting grievous bodily harm on your wife on March 19, 2019.

Source: Read Full Article