Dog collapses after suffering ‘deadly’ sting from washed up jellyfish on beach

A dog owner thought her beloved pet wouldn't make it after she was stung by a washed up jellyfish on a beach.

Adele Moore and her niece had wanted to take 16-month-old Trooper for one of her twice-a-day walks along a beach near their family home in Fairlie.

But the 43-year-old decided against it after spotting an unusual amount of jellyfish washed ashore.

So they decided to travel to a beach in Ardrossan in the hope it would be a lot safer for ther cocker spaniel.

A short while after letting Trooper run free along the beach, she noticed a few red jellyfish on the coastline.

She hadn't realised her pet had actually picked up a stick with one of the marine creatures on it and immediately starting having an adverse reaction.

Adele said: “She started coughing and her eyes glazed over.


  • Donald Trump shares bizarre Photoshopped image of himself as Rocky Balboa

  • Interior design blogger explains how to decorate your Christmas tree like a pro

“It was as if she was hallucinating and didn’t recognise me. She was staggering and then just collapsed.

“We tried to give her water, but she was being sick and struggling to swallow like there was a big ball in her throat.

“She was having real difficulty breathing and I was panicking and screaming. If it hadn’t been for Melanie, who calmed me down, I don’t know what I would have done.”

Adele quickly rushed Trooper to a Vets Now clinic in  Kilmarnock  for some urgent treatment.

“They could see that she was having a reaction and have her steroids and anti-sickness medication.

“Thankfully it started to work really quickly and within half an hour she was showing signs of being herself. I'm so grateful for Vets Now.”

She says she still gets upset thinking about the trauma of the incident and is now more cautious when taking Trooper out.

Warning other dog owners, Adele said: "Even if you only see the smallest of jellyfish, just take your dog away from the beach”, she said.

“If I’d known then what I do now, that’s definitely what I’d have done.

“They can be so dangerous and I’d hate anyone to go through what I did. It was horrific.”

There are more than 200 species of jellyfish but just six of them are commonly found in  UK  waters.

They are most prevalent in summer and autumn but stings can happen at anytime of the year.

Most jellyfish found washed up on the beaches are already dead, but experts have warned that it’s important for pet owners to know that they still have the ability to sting.

Laura Playforth, Vets Now’s professional standards director, said: “If your dog is stung by a jellyfish pull off the remaining tentacles with a stick or towel but never rub them and be careful not to touch them with your hands.

“Never rub the injured area on your dog with sand and always clean it with sea water rather than fresh water.

“It’s worth bearing in mind that we have had cases where collapsed dogs have gone into anaphylactic shock after being stung by a jellyfish.”

Source: Read Full Article