Four people in hospital after ‘chemical smell’ at HSBC bank in London

Four people have been taken to hospital after reports of a 'chemical smell' in Wimbledon, southwest London.

HSBC Bank confirmed staff are receiving medical treatment, after the building was fumigated overnight for rodents in a "routine pest control" activity.

Firefighters say they were called to an HSBC bank and offices, adding the cause of the incident is thought to have been an overnight fumigation at the premises.

An HSBC UK spokesman confirmed staff had received treatment.

"Following routine pest control being carried out last night in our Wimbledon branch, a small number of branch staff experienced an adverse reaction and have sought medical assistance.

"The branch is currently closed and we are working with the emergency services who are evaluating the situation."

Police were called by the London Fire Brigade at 12.33pm today to reports of a chemical smell at a commercial premises, a Met spokeswoman said.

"Officers, the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade attended.

"The incident is not believed to be suspicious."

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman earlier confirmed the incident took place at an HSBC bank and the service was unable to confirm what the fumigation was targeting.

However the bank later confirmed it was rodents.

The brigade's statement said: "Firefighters were called to reports of a smell of chemicals at a bank and offices on Wimbledon Hill Road in Wimbledon.

Twelve members of staff left the building before the Brigade arrived. They were all assessed at the scene and three men and a woman were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

Firefighters carried out a sweep of the property but found no elevated readings. The cause of the incident is believed to be fumigation of the building which had taken place overnight."

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson told My London : “We took four people to hospital – three men and one woman.

“We also assessed eight other patients at the scene but they were not taken to hospital.”

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Tourist quits filthy hotel after 2 hours
  • Inside Canoe man John Darwin's new life
  • Boy's skin charred black by 10,000 volts
  • UK's biggest lottery winners divorcing

Source: Read Full Article