Girl, 11, left in wheelchair after car accident worried about missing school

An 11-year-old girl who was left in a wheelchair after colliding with a car has said she's worried about ruining her 100% school attendance.

Alexis Weatherley has to undergo two operations after she was in a collision with a car when she crossed a road in Redruth, Cornwall, on Monday, October 21.

The studious youngster was rushed to Royal Cornwall Hospital where she received specialist treatment after breaking her left hip, ankle and collar bone.

She also suffered a collapsed lung.

Her injuries were initially described as potentially life-threatening by Devon and Cornwall Police.

After treatment at Treliske, Alexis was flown by Coastguard helicopter to Bristol Royal Hospital for Children.

Her dad Chris said: “She had two operations – one on her hip initially and a follow-up operation on her ankle. She’s now in a wheelchair and probably will be for at least the next six weeks.

“The first thing she was concerned about as she sat in resus was her attendance record as up until half-term she had 100%.

“Alexis is very determined – she’s desperate to get back to school. Actually, the school has been very good; she’s got work to do at home.”

Now back at Treliske, her family hope Alexis will be back at home in Redruth with her sister Elyssa, 8, and brother Logan, 4, by the end of the week, reports Cornwall Live .

Chris said: “She wants to go to trick or treating on  Halloween  like we always do, so I’ll be pushing her around in the wheelchair.”

Alexis is determined to return to her much-loved hobby too – diving. The talented youngster trains at Plymouth Diving Centre once a week and “wants to be the next Tom Daley”.

“It’s typical of Alex that she wants to run before she can walk,” he added.

Chris, who manages a retail shop in Penzance, rushed to Treliske when he was told about the accident by his mother-in-law.

“I didn’t know the extent of her injuries. When I got to the hospital, I realised it was a bit more than a bump on the head.”

He travelled to Bristol with his daughter in the helicopter, which Alexis thought was “cool”.

A GoFundMe page set up by a friend of Alexis’ mum Steff has now been disabled as it reached £2,500, a figure beyond the target amount. The money will be spent on the 11-year-old’s recovery.

Chris added: “I’d like to thank the staff at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, Treliske Hospital and the Coastguard. It was so slick and smooth from the time of the accident to the point of her operation.”

He didn’t want to comment on the collision as he has yet to speak to the police about the incident, though he said it appeared to be a “natural accident”.

Source: Read Full Article