Girl, 4, saved family from house fire after spotting blaze during search for toy

A four-year-old girl saved her family from a devastating fire after spotting the blaze while looking for her favourite toy.

Hollie Aitken saw flames engulfing a bin and garden furniture at their home in Cowdenbeath, Fife, before running to tell her mum who has having a bath at the time.

Panicked mum Siobhan Mullen, 25, grabbed Hollie, who only turned four in December, and ran outside to safety where she called 999.

Proud dad Kevin Aitken, 27, said: "It was a frightening experience for Hollie and Siobhan, and we know it could have been so much worse had Hollie not acted so quickly.


  • Boy, 3, killed in horrific caravan fire pictured with critically-ill brother, 4

  • Bush fire victim whose home was destroyed lands £500,000 in 'miracle' lotto win

"Hollie only turned four in December but she's such a confident and intelligent girl."

"We are so lucky that Hollie reacted like she did – to instinctively go and warn her mum, which allowed them both to get out of the house and call the fire service.

"The fire engine arrived straight away and the fire was very quickly extinguished.

"Fortunately they were able to limit the damage to the back patio and the rear of the house."



  • Houston explosion: Huge fireball rises into the sky as debris falls on city

Two fire engines attended the scene, and lucky Hollie was given a tour of Lochgelly Community Fire Station and met firefighters who saved her home.

Watch Commander Jenny Murray, who was part of the crew from Lochgelly turned out to tackle the fire, said: "We were delighted to welcome Hollie and her mum Siobhan to the station for a tour, and to meet some of our firefighters who attended on the day.

"She was such a wee character, going around and shaking hands with everyone, and she really made our day.

"It was important that we thanked and recognised Hollie for her actions.

"While the home did have a working smoke alarm fitted, it would appear that as the living room door was shut it had not yet activated.

"Instead, Hollie's brave, instinctive and quick-thinking actions allowed those inside the house to quickly and safely evacuate, and for the early intervention from the fire and rescue service to prevent further damage to the property."

Source: Read Full Article