Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have further raised tensions with the Queen after being forced to abandon plans to market themselves as “Royal”.
In a move described as “extraordinary” and “petulant”, the couple published complaints on their Sussex Royal website, which will have to be redesigned within weeks.
They questioned the power of the Queen and the Government, saying there is no legal case to stop them trading on the royal name abroad.
The statement read: “While there isn’t any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs in Spring 2020.”
The couple suggested they were being treated unfairly after the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William agreed to allow them to leave The Firm.
As big banks and corporations queue up to work with them, they have been told to prove they can make it work while not profiting off the royal brand.
In what is also being seen as a “highly inflammatory” move, Harry and Meghan insisted they will continue to receive taxpayer-funded security despite no deal being reached between the UK and Canada, where they are currently living with son Archie.
The statement read: “While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.”
A royal source said: “It’s pretty clear they are referencing minor royals such as Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, which is an odd association to make for two people whose associates were once claiming they had single-handedly modernised the monarchy.”
On security, they suggested they would demand round-the-clock protection paid for by the public, owing to, “The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat”.
A royal source said: “We’re witnessing a quite extraordinary turn of events.
“The British people will not stand for two multi-millionaires demanding taxpayer funds after abandoning the country they should be serving.
“The latest series of comments published on the Sussexes’ website comes across as extremely petulant and has caused a great deal of alarm inside the palace.
“This is further evidence of Harry and Meghan further ostracising themselves from the family rather
than building bridges.”
Harry and Meghan defied the Queen on January 8 by releasing a statement on Instagram announcing they were to “step back” as senior members of the royal family.
They intended to move to North America and trade on their royal connections to make money in the
corporate world, while setting up a charitable vehicle and carrying out small roles for the Queen – but they were told there could be no “halfway house”.
The couple have spent thousands trademarking Sussex Royal items and marketing their website and Instagram page.
According to marketing platform Inzpire.me, their 11.2 million followers could help them earn around £85,270 per
It is thought that Harry and Meghan raked in £775,000 for attending a JP Morgan summit in Florida earlier this month.
Reports also claim they could score a book deal in excess of the £49million Barack and Michelle Obama received.
They will leave their royal roles on March 31 and it is understood they have agreed to pay back the £2.4million of taxpayer funds used to renovate their Frogmore Cottage home.
Source: Read Full Article