Mother, 23, claims her son, 3, was left covered in blisters the size of GOLF BALLS after she used Aldi SPF50 sun cream during the UK heatwave
- Sinead-Leah Greenwood, 23, from Heywood, claims son was screaming ‘in pain’
- Says she covered her Johnny, three, in SPF 50 suncream from Aldi on Saturday
- However, the toddler got badly burned and developed huge blisters on his back
A young mother claims her three-year-old son was left screaming in agony with ‘blisters the size of golf balls’ despite using an Aldi sun cream during the UK heatwave.
Sinead-Leah Greenwood, 23, from Heywood, Lancashire, said she covered young Johnny with the Lacura 50+ SPF lotion for babies from the bargain supermarket chain multiple times on Saturday, July 24.
But the mother-of-one claimed she was left shocked and in tears when the tot woke up in the middle of the night screaming in agony and developed huge blisters over his back and chest.
Sinead-Leah Greenwood, 23, from Heywood, Lancashire, said she covered her son Johnny, 3, multiple times with the Lacura 50+ SPF baby sun lotion from Aldi on Saturday while he was playing in his new paddling pool
The shop worker added that her son has never suffered from sunburn before and shared pictures of his distress as a warning after taking him to A&E, where she claims doctors told her it looked like a reaction to the cream.
Sinead said: ‘I feel devastated because I was the one who bought the cream.
‘He was playing in the new paddling pool we bought him and had a T-shirt on but took it off because it started to get wet and heavy on his skin.
‘I reapplied the sun cream multiple times in the day but I was a bit surprised when I noticed he was going red.
Sinead-Leah Greenwood, 23, from Heywood, Lancashire, claims her son Johnny, three, (pictured together) was ‘screaming’ in pain after he got sunburned – despite using sun cream
However, the toddler got badly sunburned and she had to bring him to A&E after he developed huge blisters the size of ‘golf balls’ on his back and chest (pictured)
The shop worker says her son has never suffered sunburn before and shared pictures of his distress on Facebook as a warning to other mothers
After taking him to A&E, Sinead-Leah claims doctors told her that her son’s condition looked like a reaction to the bargain supermarket sun cream and not just sunburn
‘I know he’s only three but he’s never had any kind of sunburn or reaction to the sun before, he usually just goes brown and within about an hour or two I noticed his skin was going red.
‘He seemed fine during the day, we kept him out of the sun, the redness stayed the same, but there was nothing else to make me feel concerned.
‘That night he went to sleep and woke up at 11pm screaming in pain. I was just covering him in aloe vera cream because he was so red.
‘The only place that wasn’t burned was his face and that’s the only place I hadn’t put the cream because his face does react to things.’
The following day Sinead claimed she kept Johnny medicated on Calpol to deal with the pain but was left in tears herself when she undressed him that evening to see that ‘blisters the size of golf balls’ had developed over his back and chest.
She said: ‘He was crying in pain and I was crying with him because they looked so painful.
‘We were going to take him to A&E but he was so worn out and tired that we didn’t want to wake him up and remind him of the pain so we took him the next morning.
The young mother said she felt ‘devastated’ because she was the one who bought the sun cream and her son was screaming in pain when he got dressed
‘They told us that it looked like a reaction to the sun cream and not just sunburn.
ALDI’S DIRECTIONS FOR USE ON THE SUN LOTION BOTTLE
- Babies and young children should not be exposed to direct sunlight and should wear protective clothing at all times.
- Intense midday sun should be avoided.
- Even very high-factor sunscreen products do not provide 100% protection from UV rays.
- Do not stay in the sun too long even when using a sunscreen product.
‘We have been moisturising constantly and while he’s doing that he’s screaming because it hurts the skin on his belly and his back is peeled off so it’s just red raw and he screams every time we have to get him dressed.’
After sharing the images on Facebook, Sinead claimed she was contacted by other parents who have had the same experience, but Aldi warned that the product label clearly states children should not be exposed to the sun between 12 and 2pm at all.
An Aldi spokesperson said: ‘All of our sun protection products are rigorously tested and meet all necessary quality and safety standards.
‘However, even high-factor sunscreens do not provide 100% protection and it’s important that customers follow the instructions on the bottle, including not exposing babies and young children to direct sunlight.’
Source: Read Full Article