Mum dies after being ‘beaten by fellow hospital patient because she was snoring’

A mum died less than a fortnight after being attacked in hospital by another patient 'because she was snoring'.

Eileen Bunting, 65, was allegedly hit around the head with a cup in the middle of the night by a woman she was sharing a room with at Hull Royal Infirmary.

Mrs Bunting had been recovering after a third stay at the hospital and was due to go home the next day. However, her condition deteriorated after the incident and she was readmitted.

Nurses told her family that the patient had tied the door handles together to stop anyone getting in before the attack.

Her son claims that assault, which left her needing 14 stitches, was premeditated, Hull Live reports.

He says the door in the room she was in "had been pulled to and tied together with a blanket" and that nurses found the fellow patient "stood over her with the cup."

Police  are now investigating after they were called to the hospital at 3.45am on March 22.

Meanwhile, bosses at Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, say they were "shocked" but that staff "followed all the correct procedures" when responding to the incident.

Eileen was married to her husband Philip for 47 years, who was devastated by her rapid decline after the attack.

He said: “Apparently the night before, another patient said the patient that attacked her was getting agitated at Eileen’s snoring .

"She took a pill that night, a sleeping tablet and that night she just attacked her. I know it was to do with snoring. I know it’s the reason.

“The day she got attacked, she was supposed to be coming home. After she got attacked she went down. She came out of the hospital the next day but the day after, she was back in again. A few days later we were told she only had a few days left to live."

Eileen’s son Mark Bunting is also seeking answers surrounding his mother's death.

“The nurses must have been doing the rounds, noticed the doors were shut and found my mum full of blood and her stood over her with a cup,” he said.

“The doors had been pulled to and tied together with a blanket and then she preceded to attack my mum. It was premeditated.

“The only way they could get in was by cutting it. I think it was security staff that did it. It’s disgusting and something needs to be done about it.”

A spokeswoman for the trust which runs Hull Royal has offered the family the chance to get in touch with them and says staff "followed all the correct procedures" when dealing with the situation.

A statement says: “We would like to express our sincere condolences to Mrs Bunting’s family.

“The attack on Mrs Bunting was carried out in the early hours of the morning by a fellow patient who had given no prior indication of violent tendencies or intentions.

"The ward was staffed in line with recommended national guidelines for the time of day, however, it is clearly not possible for staff to supervise all patients individually, round the clock.

“Staff were shocked but immediately followed all the correct procedures which included alerting security, ensuring Mrs Bunting received appropriate medical attention, isolating the other patient, calling the police and recording the attack as an incident.

“Our patient experience team has not received any formal contact from Mrs Bunting’s family, but we would welcome the opportunity to discuss their concerns and look into the matter furthe."

A spokeswoman for Humberside Police said: "Detectives are investigating reports of an assault at Hull Royal Infirmary at around 3.45am on Friday, March 22.

"It was reported that a 64-year-old woman suffered facial injuries after she was allegedly assaulted by another woman. Enquiries are underway to establish the circumstances of the incident."

Source: Read Full Article