Mum’s warning after little girl’s innocent accident leaves her seriously injured

An eight-year-old girl faces years of reconstructive surgery after putting a battery up her nose when she was a toddler.

Kelsie Heath managed to take the small button battery from one of her toys and pushed it into her nose when she was three years old.

It stayed there for several months causing her serious harm as it leaked acid, Leicestershire Live reported.

It burned through the septum inside her nose after reacting the the moisture inside her nose.

Now Kelsie, who suffers some breathing difficulties as a result of the damage, hopes to have the first of a series of operations to rebuild the septum in the new year.

Her mum Kerrie said her daughter – whom she adopted after the incident – would have to have further reconstructive procedures over the next few years as she grows.

Kerrie said: “To be honest, we live with it now. It’s just part of our lives.

“Things won’t begin to change until Kelsie starts to have her surgeries next year.

“Originally the idea was for her to have the first procedure when she was five or six but they decided she was too small.

“So now it’s all about getting her stronger and bigger and getting her ready for this long road of operations.

“She is fully aware of what happened and even says she remembers doing it.

“I don’t know about that, she was only three and a half years old at the time.

“She was living with a foster family then and didn’t tell anyone about what she had done.

“It was only when she began to have physical symptoms that the foster carer realised something was not right.

“When they found the battery and removed it, it was very corroded and it became clear how much damage it had caused to Kelsie.

“Thankfully Kelsie didn’t swallow the battery and get it into her intestinal system because that can be fatal.

“A lot of children will be getting toys and other things for Christmas which contain batteries.

“I would encourage parents to know where batteries are in the things which they buy and to talk to their children about the dangers.”

Kerrie and her family, who live near Loughborough, are urging parents to check the screws fixing batteries in place are secure.

She said: “Even though she was only young, Kelsie managed to get the battery out of the toy.

“I want to encourage parents to make sure they know where the batteries are in their children’s toys and to make sure their children cannot open them.”

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Plane row after girl not allowed on
  • Temperatures plunging to -8C
  • Woman says she’s Princess Diana’s aunt
  • Boy, 6, hasn’t been to school for months

Source: Read Full Article