Pet owner reveals 18-week-old puppy DIED due to fear of fireworks

Devastated owner reveals her 18-week-old puppy was so terrified of fireworks she DIED from a heart attack – and calls for sales to be banned

  • Susan Paterson, from Wombwell, South Yorkshire, lost her terrier puppy Molly
  • Claims the adorable 18-week-old pup died of fright caused by local fireworks
  • Susan’s heartbreaking Facebook post generated 15K reactions and 60K shares  
  • She urged people to support FAB Anti Random Fireworks page and sign petition

A devastated dog owner shared a heartbreaking Facebook post revealing her 18-week-old puppy suffered a fatal heart attack due to fireworks.

Susan Paterson, from Wombwell, South Yorkshire, told how Molly the terrier was so terrified of the bangers that she ‘died of fright’ on Saturday.

Taking to the Facebook group Wombwell Wise, Susan urged fellow users to sign a petition against the use of fireworks outside of organised events and called on them to support a group dedicated to eradicating random firework use.

Sharing adorable photos of little Molly, Susan wrote: ‘Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack.

Susan Paterson, from Wombwell, South Yorkshire, told how Molly the terrier (pictured left with her sister Sally) was so terrified of the bangers that she ‘died of fright’ on Saturday

‘Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks.

‘Please support FAB Anti Random Fireworks page and sign their petition (sic).’

Her post attracted more than 60,000 shares and evoked 15,000 reactions from fellow Facebook users.

In a follow-up post on Sunday, Susan said she and her family are ‘still trying to make sense of what happened’ and are ‘dreading the fireworks again tonight’.

Sharing adorable photos of little Molly, Susan wrote: ‘Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack’

Taking to Facebook, Susan urged fellow users to sign a petition against the use of fireworks outside of organised events and called on them to support a group dedicated to eradicating random firework use

Earlier this morning she added: ‘Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts.’

Dozens of people expressed their sympathy, with a number calling for fireworks to be outlawed.

One commented: ‘So sad. Fireworks should be banned,’ while another wrote: ‘Aww, that’s heartbreaking love, so sad.’

‘Poor little baby it’s disgusting!! Sorry for your loss,’ another responded.

In a follow-up post on Sunday, Susan said she and her family are ‘still trying to make sense of what happened’ and are ‘dreading the fireworks again tonight’. Pictured: Molly the puppy

Earlier this morning Susan posted to the thread of comments, admitting: ‘Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts’

And one wrote: ‘So sorry, my dogs have always been OK but last night in Darfield it was just like bombs going off. My little dog of 10 was so terrified I had to put her inside the top of my dressing gown where it was dark and safe, it still took her hours to calm down.’

‘Omg!! What a horrible thing to happen to this little dog and a devastating thing for you to go through. So sorry (sic),’ another commented.

Many people who commented on Susan’s thread revealed they’d signed a petition to ban the sale of fireworks to the general public, which currently has nearly 163,300 signatures.

Dozens of Facebook users expressed their sympathy, with a number calling for fireworks to be outlawed

Photos of Molly were shared on the FAB anti random firework Facebook page, with an accompanying post which read: ‘Is this fair? Molly, poor sweet pup.. Her heart gave out with fear. Her sister Sally the blonde pup will miss her greatly and will be traumatised seeing her sister die.’ 

A Dogs Trust spokesperson said: ‘Dogs have four times more sensitive hearing so the sudden cracks and bangs of fireworks can have a lasting impact. Luckily, there are lots of things owners can do to help make fireworks less stressful for their dogs. 

‘Simple steps such as providing safe spaces for them to hide or settling them before the fireworks start can make a big difference and can be found on the Dogs Trust website.’ 

Tips to help keep your dog safe during Bonfire Night 

Experts at Pure Pet Food advise owners to take precautions and plan ahead to help keep animals calm… 

1. Distract: Switch the TV or radio on to try and distract your pet from the noise outside.

2. Let them hide: Your pet might choose to hide under the bed or behind other furniture, but don’t even try and tempt them out, as this could cause them more stress. And if they come to you for comfort, make sure you give it them.

3. Act normal: Try to act as normal, as your pet will pick up on any unusual behaviour. Be calm, happy and cheerful as this will send positive signals to your pet.

4. Company: Avoid leaving your pet alone when fireworks are going off near your house, and if you do have to leave, don’t get angry with your pet if you find they’ve been destructive or messed in the house – shouting at a frightened pet will only make them more stressed.

5. Water: Top up your pet’s water bowl – dogs’ in particular. Anxious dogs pant more and get thirsty.

6. Walk: Take your dog for a walk before it starts to get dark, as it might be a while before it’s safe for them to venture outside again to go to the toilet!

7. Security: Make sure you shut all of the doors and windows in your home and don’t forget to draw the curtains. This will help to block out any flashes of light and reduce the noise level of fireworks.

8. Den: Use your dog’s favourite blankets, toys, or an unwashed item of your clothing to make them a little den in a quiet corner of your house. This could help them feel safer and more secure.

 

 

Source: Read Full Article