Thousands of families can claim up to £300 free cash for energy bills and food – how to apply | The Sun

THOUSANDS of families could be in line for a windfall of up to £300 to help cover the cost of soaring energy bills.

The help comes as part of the Household Support Fund – a £1.5billion pot of cash being dished out by the government to local councils.

Local authorities are deciding how to use their portion of the money to help struggling households in their area.

And residents of Effingham, near Guildford, could get up to £300 free cash to help them through the cost of living crisis.

Effingham Residents Association has reminded households in the area that Guildford Borough Council has been given cash to help people in the region.

It is giving out grants of up to £300 to eligible households.

read more on benefits

Universal Credit claimants could see pay reduced in weeks – are you affected?

Full list of benefits paid early this week including Universal Credit

The council said it would prioritise those with greater needs, including households with pensioners or children.

The scheme runs until September 30, but it's better to apply sooner than later, as grants will stop when the money runs out.

Who is eligible for help?

In Guildford, you'll need to be over age 16 to apply for the grant.

You must live in Guildford and "be without resources to meet your immediate short-tern needs" or be unable to support your dependents.

Most read in Money


Primark reveals major change to stores – and shoppers 'can't wait' to visit


Tesco has made a major change to Clubcard vouchers – and shoppers won't like it


Warning as pre-payment energy meter customers face topping up £15 every 2 days


Eight ways to get free cash in your bank account – including bill help

Residents will need to apply for the help – and it's one application per household.

You can either apply online or call the council on 1483 458 055.

You'll need to provide some basic details such as your name, address, who lives in your property, and your household income.

You will also need to explain what hardship you are experiences and why you can't meet your expenses.

You can then ask for assistance with either food, bills or the cost of a fridge/freezer, cooker or washing machine.

The council will make a decision based on your application and, if you're successful, money will be paid directly into your bank account.

Can I get support if I don't live in Guildford?

Yes. Councils across the UK have been given a portion of the £1.5billion pot to help their residents.

You can find your local council using the government website, and ask what help is available where you live and who is eligible.

Each council decides what help to provide and in what form – some provide cash grants, while others provide vouchers or free school meals.

In some areas, the help is given automatically to those who meet certain criteria, while in other parts of the country you'll need to apply.

For example, Torbay Council is giving eligible cash-strapped residents a maximum of £50 towards food, and where necessary, another £50 towards energy bills.

In Derby, families can get help during the school term break and pensioners receiving council tax support can also claim.

Read More on The Sun

Loose Women star Judi Love breaks down in tears and starts sobbing live on air

My cheeky neighbour blocks my drive – I think she has a secret plan

In Coventry, households can claim a one-off supermarket voucher worth £36.

Meanwhile, in Kensington and Chelsea residents can grab up to £150 to help cover household bills, food and clothing.

    Source: Read Full Article