Victorians still flouting self-isolation as state records 450 new cases, 11 deaths

More than 100 people who should be in self-isolation could not be found when Australian Defence Force personnel knocked on their doors on Thursday, Premier Daniel Andrews has revealed.

After reporting 2734 new coronavirus cases since Sunday, Victoria recorded 450 new cases on Friday and 11 deaths.



Mr Andrews said ADF personnel knocked on the doors of 1150 Victorians on Thursday to ensure those people were self-isolating properly.

The vast majority of those people were at home, he said, but 150 could not be found.

"They have been referred to Victoria Police," Mr Andrews said.

Nearly 1000 healthcare workers currently have the virus, with the Premier imploring Victorians to follow lockdown restrictions "to protect themselves, but also to protect our dedicated healthcare team".

"To date, there are 1527 confirmed cases in healthcare workers. That's 139 more than yesterday. And there are, currently, 911 healthcare workers who are active cases," he said.

There are 607 Victorians in hospital with the virus, including 41 in intensive care.

A woman in her 50s, two men in their 70s, three men and three women in their 80s, and two women in their 90s died overnight.

Seven of 11 deaths reported on Friday were connected to aged care, Mr Andrews said.

Victoria was on course for a COVID-19 catastrophe of 20,000 new daily infections by mid-August when the state government imposed its stage three restriction in early July.

Acting Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng said on Thursday that the rate of infections had been growing 10-fold every 10 days when the government stepped in to reimpose the lockdown and that without action, new cases might have reached 20,000 a day by August 12.

The Monash University epidemiologist said he hoped to see the present rate of daily infections, which reached a record high of 725 on Wednesday, begin to drop in the coming days as the mandated use of face masks and the stage four lockdown announced on Sunday begin to take effect.

Professor Cheng’s estimates follow research by the Burnet Institute released earlier this week that indicated 27,000 new cases of the killer virus might have occurred in July instead of the 8300 reported diagnoses, if the growth rate had continued unchanged.

Get our Morning & Evening Edition newsletters

The most important news, analysis and insights delivered to your inbox at the start and end of each day. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s newsletter here.

Source: Read Full Article