Woman, 74, stabbed partner to death following argument after he wet himself

A woman who stabbed her partner after they got into an argument when he wet himself has been jailed for three years.

Angela Ayre, 74, killed her 53-year-old partner, Mark Evans, following an incident at their home in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, in March 2018.

She was sentenced for manslaughter today after being cleared of murder following a two-week trial.

Luton Crown Court heard how the pair had gotten into a violent confrontation after Evans had wet himself.

It emerged Ayre had fatally wounded her partner by plunging a small kitchen knife into his chest during the argument.

A panicked Ayre then sent a voicemail to her daughter in which she said: "I’ve just stabbed Mark. Please help me."

Police attended the scene on Thursday 8 March, last year, after reports of concern for the welfare of a man at a property in the town.

Paramedics found Evans in cardiac arrest and with a stab wound to the chest.

When officers arrived, Evans was lying on the kitchen floor being treated by a paramedic and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ayre, who was sitting in the living room in a distressed state, was arrested after a family member indicated she was responsible for the Evans’ injury.

Police seized a blood-stained purple knife from the kitchen during the investigation.

Evans’ death was confirmed as a single stab wound to the hear and the injury was found to be consistent with the knife seized from the crime scene.

Detectives investigating the crime found a voicemail that Ayre had left for her daughter, in which she said ‘‘I’ve just stabbed Mark. Please help me.’’

She was initially charged with murder, although was cleared of that charge and convicted of manslaughter at a trial.

Hertfordshire Police Detective Sergeant Jo Goodson, who led the investigation, said: “This was a tragic and unnecessary incident which led to a man losing his life.

"Ayre and Evans’ relationship has been described as volatile, with both described as regular drinkers.

"This incident was seemingly alcohol fuelled, and things may not have escalated to the point they did if alcohol had not been involved.

“Mark is greatly missed by his family, who gave evidence at court and supported our investigation.”

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Exeter murders chalk mark mystery
  • ISIS bride ‘has Stockholm syndrome’
  • Crash death newlyweds not ‘burglars’
  • Philip crash victim slams CPS decision

Source: Read Full Article