The Astros’ electronic sign-sealing scandal has created a hostility that led to death threats and fans wishing harm on players’ families, outfielder Josh Reddick said on Friday.
Reddick told reporters that earlier this month he posted a video on social media of his five-month-old twins.
“I hope your kid get cancer,” one person said.
“I will kill your entire family,” another wrote.
Reddick said Astros teammates have received similar threats. The team met with players association head Tony Clark about the ongoing fallout on Friday morning.
“There’s a heightened sense of concern to make sure that themselves and their families are protected,” Clark said.
The 2017 Astros illegally stole signs on their way to the World Series title. Following an investigation, MLB suspended Astros manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow were suspended one year and then both were fired by owner Jim Crane. The Astros were fined $5 million and forfeited first- and second-round picks in 2020 and 2021.
No players, however, were disciplined, because they were promised immunity for speaking to commissioner Rob Manfred’s office. Carlos Beltran, a player on the team, was named in the investigation and lost his managerial job with the Mets. Alex Cora, a bench coach with the Astros in 2017, also was dismissed by the Red Sox from his job as the team’s manager.
Reddick, who notched career-bests in batting average (.314) and OPS (.847) in 2017, and the Astros players aren’t the only ones who have been a target on social media. Mike Fiers, the whistleblower who got this all started, has also been threatened, he said on Thursday.
“Whatever, I don’t care. I’ve dealt with a lot of death threats before. It’s just another thing on my plate,” Fiers, who is now pitching for the A’s, told the San Francisco Chronicle.
Source: Read Full Article