The Association of Tennis Professionals board of directors voted on Thursday not to remove Justin Gimelstob from that governing body.
The vote was called a day after Gimelstob pleaded not guilty to a charge of felony battery with serious bodily injury after an altercation in Los Angeles on Halloween night. The breakdown of the vote is not known, but a unanimous decision of five voting members of the seven-member board is required to remove one of its members.
By rule, the vote did not include Gimelstob or Chris Kermode, executive chairman and president of the ATP. The voting members included three tournament representatives, Gavin Forbes, Charles Humphrey Smith and Mark Webster, and two player representatives, David Egdes and Alex Inglot.
A spokesman for the ATP confirmed that “no action was taken,” but would not reveal specifics of the vote and added that the organization felt it would be inappropriate to comment on a police matter.
Although Gimelstob avoided ouster by the board of directors, his position on the panel remains in doubt because the 10-member player council can still choose to vote him off with a simple majority. Novak Djokovic, the No. 1 men’s player, is the president of the player council, a group that recently demonstrated a willingness to remove board members.
In November, the council voted Roger Rasheed, a coach and former player, off the board after he voted in favor of a modest one-year pay increase from ATP tournaments, which infuriated many players. Those players preferred a more significant pay increase over a longer period of time. Egdes replaced Rasheed on an interim basis.
There is no other mechanism in the ATP rules for a suspension of a board member. The only methods are removal via the two vote options, or if he steps down.
Gimelstob, who was first elected to the ATP board in 2008, also serves as a coach for John Isner, the highest-ranked American man, and is a frequent contributor to Tennis Channel.
Tennis Channel said that it had granted Gimelstob time off during the court proceedings but it has given no other public indications about Gimelstob’s future at the network. Isner, who is also a member of the player council, has expressed support for Gimelstob and said he, too, would wait for all the facts to emerge.
Gimelstob, 41, was arrested on Nov. 21 after he was accused of beating an acquaintance, Ronald Kaplan, during trick-or-treating on Halloween. The next scheduled court date for the case is Jan. 31.
A former friend of Gimelstob’s, Kaplan told the police that Gimelstob jumped him from behind, without provocation, while Kaplan was trick-or-treating with his wife and 2-year-old child. Kaplan told the police that Gimelstob hit him at least 50 times.
Gimelstob acknowledged that there was a confrontation that night, but said Kaplan initiated the physical altercation and provoked him with insults about Gimelstob’s father, who had died the week before the episode.
Gimelstob has been accused of other violent acts in news media reports after his arrest, but denied he was the aggressor in those incidents. A court in California has issued a mutual restraining order against Gimelstob and his ex-wife, Cary Sinnott, as part of their divorce and child custody proceedings. Sinnott had previously sought a domestic violence restraining order; Gimelstob denied ever committing an act of domestic violence.
Gimelstob, who lives in Los Angeles, played tennis at U.C.L.A. and won two Grand Slam mixed doubles titles before he retired in 2007.
Source: Read Full Article