Canelo Alvarez confirms he will fight Gennady Golovkin next in huge trilogy bout before rematching Dimitry Bivol

CANELO ALVAREZ is on course to have a trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin following defeat in his return to light-heavyweight.

Boxing's former pound-for-pound king suffered a unanimous decision defeat to Dmitry Bivol in his bid to claim the WBA 175lb strap earlier this month.



Canelo had set his sights on a rematch with the Russian in the immediate aftermath of his second pro loss but has since turned his attention to settling the score with Golovkin.

He told ESPN Deportes: "Surely yes [about fighting Golovkin next].

"We already had that contract, that agreement, so we have to continue what we started and I think those are the two biggest fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol.

"Unfortunately we lost, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try again.

READ MORE IN SPORT

Canelo versus Dmitry Bivol PPV figures revealed as rematch is eyed

FREE BETS: Get £20 bonus when you stake £10 on any sport with LiveScore Bet

"The important thing here is perseverance and we're going to do it again."

The third instalment of Canelo vs GGG was initially slated for September – a timeline the pride of Mexico hopes to keep.

He said: "What is certain is that we are going to return in September.

"And in the coming days… today, tomorrow, the day after, we are going to announce the fight, we just have to wait a little bit."

SUN BINGO GET £50 BONUS & 50 FREE SPINS TODAY

Most read in Boxing

'WAIT TO SEE'

Tyson Fury could come out of retirement for winner of Joshua vs Usyk

PAUL UP CHALLENGE

Paul shows off bulked up physique in behind-the-scenes training pictures

HAPPIEST I'VE BEEN

Naz loves new life near Queen in Windsor but still '100 per cent cocky'

CASH FLO

Floyd Mayweather NOT broke despite 50 Cents claims but does have plush lifestyle

Canelo and Golovkin, 31 and 40 respectively, took part in two of the most entertaining fights in recent history in September 2017 and 2018.

The pair's first meeting ended in a controversial draw, with many in the boxing world believing the judges robbed Golovkin.

Canelo edged their rematch 12 months later via majority decision – although many thought the epic rematch should've been scored a draw.

The prospect of a third fight between Canelo and Golovkin hasn't been received warmly, but promoter Eddie Hearn insists now is the time for the pair to close the book on their rivalry.

He said: "I spoke to Canelo yesterday. We're talking on Monday to see what's next.

"We know the GGG fight is there for the undisputed; it's the trilogy.

"It's probably the only chance. We've got to make that fight, but he's desperate to fight Dmitry Bivol.

"I think he'll only fight GGG if he fights Dmitry Bivol after that. So, we'll talk to Canelo on Monday and make a decision next week."

FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS

    Source: Read Full Article