Christian Atsu is confirmed to have died after devastating earthquake

Christian Atsu is confirmed to have died following the devastating earthquake in Turkey last week… with the former Ghana, Chelsea, Newcastle and Porto star’s body found after 12 days

  • Christian Atsu has been pronounced dead following the earthquake in Turkey
  • The 31-year-old’s whereabouts were unknown after the devastating earthquake 
  • Atsu represented Porto, Chelsea and Newcastle among others during his career

Christian Atsu has tragically been confirmed to have died following the devastating earthquake in southern Turkey and northern Syria last week. 

The 31-year-old’s whereabouts remained unknown after the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that took place in the early hours of the morning of February 6.

More than 42,000 people have been killed and thousands more injured, while millions have been left homeless following the disaster.

Tremors from the deadly quake – which lasted about a minute and could be Turkey’s largest ever – were felt as far away as Egypt, Lebanon and the island of Cyprus.

There were hopes the former Chelsea, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Everton winger had been rescued, but his club Hatayspor and agent Nana Sechere had revealed over the past week that these claims were untrue. 

Christian Atsu, 31, has been pronounced dead following the devastating earthquake in Turkey

The Ghana international’s whereabouts were unknown following the 7.8 magnitude earthquake

Relatives of Atsu waited to receive news as search and rescue operations in Turkey took place

Several search and rescue operations in the debris of the building where Atsu and Hatayspor’s sporting director Taner Savut lived, took place – with Savut also missing.

Sechere explained on Tuesday how Atsu’s exact ‘room location’ and even two pairs of his shoes had been located.  

It was then confirmed by another of Atsu’s agents Murat Uzunmehmet that he had been found under the rubble on Saturday, 12 days after the earthquake.

Uzunmehmet told reporters: ‘Atsu’s lifeless body was found under the rubble. Currently, more items are still being taken out. His phone was also found.’

31-year-old Atsu enjoyed an extremely impressive football career after he broke through with Portuguese giants Porto.

His exploits in Portugal – which also included a loan spell at Rio Ave – led to Atsu earning a move to Chelsea.

He spent five years at Stamford Bridge but never actually made an appearance for the first team as he spent temporary spells away from the club with Vitesse Arnhem, Everton, Bournemouth, Malaga and Newcastle, before he made a permanent move to the Magpies in 2016.

He was promoted to the Premier League with the club during the 2016-17 season under Rafa Benitez and he made 121 appearances in total over five years.

Upon leaving Newcastle, he moved to Saudi Arabia to play for Al-Raed, before he joined Hatayspor last September.

Atsu had been in Turkey since he joined Hatayspor in Septmber last year after leaving Al-Raed

Atsu enjoyed an extremely impressive career for several clubs and also his country, Ghana

The 31-year-old moved to Portugal aged 17 to pursue his dream after growing up in Ghana

Atsu also had a decorated international career, winning 65 caps for Ghana and scoring nine goals, while he also represented them at the 2014 World Cup.

He was awarded Player of the Tournament at the 2015 AFCON when the Black Stars came runners-up. 

After growing up in Ghana, Atsu had moved to Portugal to pursue his dream of becoming a professional footballer at the age of just 17.

Atsu was a devout Christian and married his wife Marie-Claire Rupio Atsu in 2012. The couple had three children together – two sons and a daughter. 

Source: Read Full Article