FA Cup results: Chelsea through as Newcastle STUNNED by Cambridge in giant-killing as TWO non-league sides progress

THE FA Cup third-round is well and truly underway with 21 matches on an action-packed Saturday.

Manchester City got the ball rolling with a 4-1 win over Swindon on Friday night.

And with a further nine third-round ties on Sunday and one on Monday evening, there's plenty more to come.

But with 21 games to sink your teeth into on Saturday, catch up on all the scores in our round up, including some non-league giant-killings…

Mansfield 2 Middlesbrough 3

BORO survived an almighty scare to scrape past League Two Mansfield thanks to a 95th-minute own goal.

The visitors stormed to an early lead thanks to goals from Uche Ikpeazu and Caolan Boyd-Munce within 14 minutes.

But Mansfield mounted a second-half comeback, as Oliver Hawkins pulled one back with just over 20 minutes to play before Rhys Oates scored with five minutes left of the 90 to seemingly force extra-time.

However, John-Joe O'Toole deflected a teasing cross into his goal in the 95th minute to send Middlesbrough into the fourth round.

Most read in Football


Pogba £500k-a-week contract EXCLUSIVE, Ronaldo could LEAVE in summer


Newcastle OUT to Cambridge, Everton beat Hull in extra time – results


Bruno Guimaraes £40m, Dusan Vlahovic UPDATE, Coutinho joins Villa


Luis Diaz to Liverpool EXCLUSIVE, Trippier completes Newcastle switch


Bristol City 0 Fulham 1 (aet)

THE Cottagers needed extra-time to snatch a spot in the FA Cup fourth round.

Fulham – flying high in the Championship – failed to break the deadlock within 90 minutes.

And with replays scrapped for the third and fourth round ties due to Covid, the West Londoners booked their place in the next round thanks to a 105th-minute winner from Harry Wilson.

Burnley 1 Huddersfield 2

HUDDERSFIELD launched a staggering late comeback to KO Premier League strugglers Burnley.

The Championship high-flyers went a goal down after Jay Rodriguez netted for the Clarets within the opening half an hour.

Josh Koroma levelled for the Terriers with 15 minutes to play, before Matty Pearson scored the winner in the dying moments to send Huddersfield into the fourth round.

Coventry 1 Derby 0

COVENTRY came out on top in the all-Championship third-round tie in the Midlands.

Dominic Hyam scored late in the first-half, with the Sky Blues clinging on to ensure their cup run stays alive.

Wayne Rooney's Rams will now turn their full attention to avoiding relegation following their 21-point deduction.

Hartlepool 2 Blackpool 1

LEAGUE TWO Hartlepool stunned Championship side Blackpool to book their spot in the FA Cup fourth round.

Keshi Anderson had given the visitors an eighth-minute lead as they took control of the tie early.

But David Ferguson and Joe Grey scored early in the second-half to KO the Tangerines.

Millwall 1 Crystal Palace 2

THE Eagles were indebted to a second-half comeback to finally overcome Championship side Millwall to reach the FA Cup fourth round.

Benik Afobe had given the hosts the lead after just 17 minutes.

But Michael Olise scored seconds into the second half before Jean-Philippe Mateta grabbed the winner shortly before the hour mark.

Barnsley 5 Barrow 4 (aet)

CHAMPIONSHIP Barnsley were given an almighty scare by League Two Barrow in their third-round clash.

The hosts had led 2-0 and looked comfortable – with Barrow down to ten men from the 38th minute – only for the visitors to pull both goals back to go into the final ten minutes with the scores level.

In a chaotic finale, Barrow twice cancelled out goals from Barnsley to send the game to extra-time with the scoreline at 4-4.

But Barnsley ace Carlton Morris grabbed his second of the game deep into the first-half of added time to ensure they didn't become the latest victims of an FA Cup giant-killing.

Boreham Wood 2 AFC Wimbledon 0

NON-LEGAUE Boreham Wood got in on the act during a day of giant-killings by dumping out League One Wimbledon.

Tyrone Marsh gave the fifth-tier side a tenth-minute lead.

And there was to be no coming back for the Dons as Adrian Clifton doubled Boreham Wood's lead with four minutes to play to book their place in the fourth round of the cup.

Kidderminster Harriers 2 Reading 1

SIXTH-TIER Kidderminster dumped Championship Reading out of the FA Cup with a stunning comeback win.

George Puscas had given the Royals the lead on the stroke of half-time.

But Sam Austin equalised for the hosts with 20 minutes to play before Amari Morgan-Smith snatched a shock winner with less than ten minutes to play.

Leicester 4 Watford 1

THE Foxes piled yet more misery on relegation-threatened Watford by knocking them out of the cup after the game was briefly interrupted by a floodlights failure.

Youri Tielemans' seventh-minute penalty gave Leicester the lead before James Maddison made it 2-0 after just 25 minutes.

Joao Pedro pulled one back within minutes, but Harvey Barnes ensured there'd be no comeback by scoring his side's third shortly after the break.

Marc Albrighton grabbed the Foxes' fourth with minutes left on the clock to rub salt in the gaping Watford wounds.

Newcastle 0 Cambridge United 1

MEGA-RICH Newcastle were dumped out of the FA Cup by League One strugglers Cambridge United.

Joe Ironside scored just ten minutes into the second half at St James' Park to leave Eddie Howe and Co stunned.

Toon new-boy Kieran Trippier started just days after arriving back in England asa full-strength XI were left shellshocked.

Read the full match report here…

Peterborough United 2 Bristol Rovers 1

FOURTH-TIER Rovers put up an impressive fight but were eventually dumped out of the FA Cup by Championship side Posh.

Peterborough took the lead through Sammie Szmodics after just 20 minutes, before Paul Coutts levelled from the spot on the half-hour mark.

But Norwich loanee Bali Mumba ensured the second-tier side kept their cup run alive as a welcome distraction from their relegation battle in the league.

Port Vale 1 Brentford 4

LEAGUE TWO Port Vale put up a valiant fight against Premier League side Brentford but missed out on a spot in the FA Cup fourth round.

The Bees took the lead through Marcus Forss after just 26 minutes, before Bryan Mbeumo made it midway through the second half just as the hosts were gaining momentum.

Kian Harrett scored just four minutes later to set up a tense finale – only for Mbeumo to grab his second a further six minutes on to kill off the game, before slotting home an 87th-minute penalty to secure his hat-trick.

QPR 1 Rotherham 1 (aet, 8-7 on pens)

QPR needed a nerve-shattering penalty shootout to edge past Rotherham and reach the next stage of the FA Cup.

Michael Ihiekwe gave the League One leaders the lead early into extra-time after the 90 minutes ended with the teams locked at 0-0.

But Lyndon Dykes grabbed a crucial equaliser for the Championship side with five minutes of the additional 30 to play.

With the penalty shootout going well into sudden-death, Rotherham's Chiedozie Ogbene missed to hand QPR and 8-7 min on spot-kicks.

West Brom 1 Brighton 2 (aet)

THE Seagulls needed extra-time to edge past ten-man West Brom and reach the fourth round fo the FA Cup.

The Baggies went 1-0 up within two minutes of the second half thanks to Callum Robinson's goal, before Cedric Kipre was sent off with 20 minutes still to play.

Brighton capitalised as Jakub Moder scored after 81 minutes to send the game to extra-time.

And the Championship side were unable to hold on as Neal Maupay netted eight minutes into the additional 30 to grab the win.

Wigan 3 Blackburn 2

LEAGUE ONE Wigan won a breathless encounter over Championship Rovers thanks to a last-gasp winner.

Blackburn took the lead early in the second half through Reda Khadra, only for Max Power and Jack Whatmough to fire the Latics in front with just 15 minutes to play.

Daniel Ayala snatched what appeared to be a late equaliser with the game heading for extra-time, only for Thelo Aasgaard to grab a 94th-minute winner and fire Wigan into the FA Cup fourth round.

Birmingham 0 Plymouth 1 (aet)

BIRMINGHAM were KO'd from the FA Cup by League One Plymouth after extra-time.

The Blues suffered the first blow after George Friend was sent off with over 20 minutes left of the 90.

They clung on to force extra-time but Ryan James Law netted in the dying moments of the first-half of the additional 30 minutes to seal their spot in the fourth round.

Chelsea 5 Chesterfield 1

THE Blues stormed into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a 5-1 drubbing of non-league Chesterfield.

Chelsea were 4-0 up by half-time thanks to goals from Timo Werner, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Romelu Lukaku and Andreas Christensen.

Hakim Ziyech made it 5-0 shortly after the break before Akwasi Asante enjoyed a day he'll never forget after scoring a consolation goal at Stamford Bridge with ten minutes to play.

Read the full match report here…

Hull 2 Everton 3 (aet)

EVERTON breathed a sigh of relief after reaching the FA Cup fourth-round after a hard-fought clash at Hull.

The Toffees were behind in just 45 seconds thanks to Tyler Smith's opener.

But they fought back to 2-1 up through Demarai Gray and Andre Gomes after half an hour.

Ryan Longman equalised with 20 minutes to play to force extra-time, only for Andros Townsend to break home fans' hearts.

Swansea 2 Southampton 3 (aet)

SOUTHAMPTON avoided being KO'd by Championship side Swansea after an extra-time thriller in South Wales.

Nathan Redmond got the Saints off to a flyer with his eighth minute goal, but soon after they were down to ten men after Yan Very's red card.

Joel Piroe levelled with little over ten minutes to play to force extra-time.

Swansea took the lead through Jan Bednarek's own goal, but Mohamed Elyounoussi equalised just seconds later.

And Shane Long ensured Southampton pipped their Championship opponents to the post with his 102nd-minute winner.

Yeovil 1 Bournemouth 3

CHAMPIONSHIP side Bournemouth avoided becoming the latest team to be KO'd by a non-league side as they cruised to victory in Somerset.

Emiliano Marcondes put the Cherries 2-0 up before half-time before Joe Quigley pegged them back with a goal early in the second period.

But Marcondes completed his hat-trick with under 20 minutes to play to book Bournemouth's spot in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

 Read our Transfer News Live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals

    Source: Read Full Article