Former Red Sox star David Ortiz ‘stable, awake’ after second surgery in Boston

David Ortiz underwent a second surgery after being transported to a Boston hospital on Monday night, according to his wife, Tiffany.

Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement issued through the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday that the surgery was successful. Ortiz, the retired Red Sox slugger, was shot in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night.

"He is stable, awake and resting comfortably this morning in the ICU where he is expected to remain for the next several days," she wrote in the statement.

"On behalf of me and my family, I want to thank John and Linda Henry, Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and the Boston Red Sox for all that they are doing for David and our family, as well as Dr. Larry Ronan and the amazing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.

David Ortiz will remain in the hospital for the next several days. (Photo: Bob DeChiara, USA TODAY Sports)

"Lastly, I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and love that we have received during this incredibly difficult time. We ask for privacy as David works towards recovery."

HOMELAND: David Ortiz's special relationship with native D.R.

BIG PAPI: MLB impact a true love affair

ORTIZ ASSISTANT: 'No doubt' attack was by a hitman

PEDRO: Former teammate breaks down talking about Ortiz

Ortiz was shot at a bar in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, on Sunday night after two suspects approached him on a motorcycle, according to the Dominican National Police. The 43-year-old later underwent surgery at a local hospital. His spokesperson, Leo López, told The Associated Press that Ortiz's liver was damaged in the shooting, and doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intenstine.

Tiffany Ortiz did not offer details about the nature of Ortiz's second surgery Monday night, after he was flown to Boston with the help of the Red Sox.

Contributing: The Associated Press

Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on Twitter @Tom_Schad.

Source: Read Full Article