John Isner Advances to Miami Open Quarterfinals

Defending champion John Isner reached the Miami Open quarterfinals with a 7-6(5) 7-6(3) win over Britain’s Kyle Edmund on Tuesday, while Nick Kyrgios, in a loss to Brona Coric, was given a point penalty for an audible obscenity.

The obscenity by Kyrgios, who produced perhaps the shot of the tournament early in his 4-6 6-3 6-2 loss to 11th-seeded Coric, was apparently directed at a spectator. The penalty put him down a double break in the third.

It was the latest incident in Miami for Kyrgios, who had already made headlines for underhanded serves, a verbal spat with a spectator who was heckling him and firing off an expletive-laden rant at an umpire during a doubles match.

Kyrgios trailed 3-1 in the opening set to Coric but looked energized when, after sending a no-look volley over the net, he charged toward the back corner of the court where he executed an audacious “tweener” that caught a flat-footed Coric off guard.

While the 27th-seeded Australian picked up his game, it proved only temporary as Coric coolly regained control before securing victory to draw level in four career head-to-head meetings with Kyrgios.

Up next for Coric will be a clash with Felix Auger-Aliassime, who beat No. 17 Nikoloz Basilashvili 7-6(4) 6-4 to become the first qualifier to reach the last eight in Miami since Guillermo Canas in 2007.

Isner, known for his serve, fired 17 aces and won 81 percent of his first-serve points to reach the quarterfinals without dropping a set through three matches in Miami.

For a moment, however, it appeared the American had lost momentum after he failed to serve out the opening set while leading 5-2. He was forced to recover from a double mini-break down in the first tiebreaker.

Isner will next face the winner of a clash between six-time champion Novak Djokovic and No. 22 Roberto Bautista Agut.

Roger Federer will cap the night session when he faces Russia’s Daniil Medvedev.

KVITOVA ATTACKER SENTENCED A man who stabbed two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in her home was sentenced to eight years in prison on Tuesday.

Radim Zondra, 33, was convicted of causing Kvitova serious bodily harm by a regional court in Brno.

The state prosecutor requested 12 years for Zondra, who pleaded not guilty to attacking Kvitova in December 2016 in her apartment in Prostejov.

Kvitova’s spokesman, Karel Tejkal, said she “respects the ruling of an independent court.”

“She’s satisfied with the verdict because she identified the convicted person as the attacker,” Tejkal said.

Zondra can appeal, and so can the prosecution.

In the attack, Kvitova sustained damage to the tendons in her hand, along with injuries to all five fingers and two nerves, and underwent nearly four hours of surgery. It took her more than five months to recover.

Zondra is currently serving a prison term for a different crime. (ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Source: Read Full Article