Leicester cruise through as Watford blow three goal lead and Aston Villa and Brighton suffer shock FA Cup defeats – The Sun

IT was an afternoon of FA Cup action that left some of the Premier League sides a little red-faced.

But Leicester kept their reputation intact with a comfortable 2-0 win over Wigan at the King Power Stadium.

The Foxes took the lead after 19 minutes when Tom Pearce knocked the ball into his own net.

Leicester academy graduate Harvey Barnes doubled their lead after his deflected strike flew past David Marshall.

Meanwhile, Manchester City escaped unscathed as they put four past League Two side Port Vale. 

But Manchester United and Wolves will have to battle it out again after their clash at the Molineux ended 0-0.

Watford threw away a three goal lead over League One side Tranmere Rovers before being reduced to ten men.

Watford – who entered the clash after a midweek win over Wolves – were in cruise control after they bagged three goals in the first 34 minutes.

Tom Dele-Bashiru and Nathaniel Chalobah scored before Roberto Pereyra appeared to put the game to bed before the interval.

But the League One side hit back in spectacular fashion in the second half at Vicarage Road.

Connor Jennings kicked off the comeback before Manny Monthe breathed life into the third-round tie with their second.

Paul Mullin levelled the scoring from the penalty spot moments before Pereyra was given his marching orders.


  • Bristol City 1 – 1 Shrewsbury
  • Birmingham 2 – 1 Blackburn
  • Rochdale 1 – 1 Newcastle
  • Rotherham 2 – 3 Hull City
  • Millwall 3 – 0 Newport County
  • Burnley 4 – 2 Peterborough
  • Preston 2 – 4 Norwich Cioty
  • Brighton 0 – 1 Sheffield Wednesday
  • Cardiff 2 – 2 Carlisle
  • Southampton 2 – 0 Huddersfield
  • Reading 2 – 2 Blackpool
  • Watford 3 – 3 Tranmere
  • Fulham 2 – 1 Aston Villa
  • Oxford Utd 4 – 1 Hartlepool
  • Brentford 1 – 0 Stoke City
  • Bournemouth 4 – 0 Luton Town
  • Wolves 0 – 0 Manchester United
  • Fleetwood 1 – 2 Portsmouth
  • Man City 4 – 1 Port Vale
  • Leicester 2 – 0 Wigan

Elsewhere, Sheffield Wednesday proved their Premier League credentials with a win over Brighton.

The Championship play-off chasers secured a 1-0 victory after Adam Reach's goal in the second half.

The English winger opened the scoring in the 65th minute after the Owls pulled off a clever free kick routine.

After the ball was rolled into his path, Reach's deflected strike glided past David Button.

Graham Potter's men could not find a way back into the game despite Alireza Jahanbakhsh's best efforts.

The Iranian ace tried to mimic the bicycle kick that he scored against Chelsea in the week – but it went way wide of the woodwork.


Elsewhere, Premier League relegation-battlers Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by Championship giants Fulham.

Anthony Knockaert scored the opener before Anwar El Ghazi hit back to level the scoring just nine minutes later.

Fulham snatched the win after Republic of Ireland ace Harry Arter with a screamer from 30 yards.

Meanwhile, Aaron Wilbraham rolled back the years to earn a dramatic replay as League One Rochdale snatched a 1-1 draw with Newcastle.

The 40-year-old, who scored his first professional goal before the 1998 World Cup, pounced with 11 minutes to go to send the home fans into raptures.

Miguel Almiron had given the visitors the lead in the 17th minute as Newcastle spurned numerous opportunities to put the game to bed.

Summer signing Joelinton was found guilty of missing a hatful of chances and faced barrels of criticism from his own frustrated fans.

The Brazilian was then made to pay for a misplaced five-yard pass as Rochdale went up the other end with 17-year-old Luke Matheson who played it into Wilbraham's path to score.

It is the second time Rochdale have earned a replay against Prem opposition in less than two years after their 2-2 draw with Spurs in 2018.


Meanwhile Burnley were the first Premier League club safely through after a convincing 4-2 win over Peterborough.

Sean Dyche's side were 3-0 up after 23 minutes before Ivan Toney clawed the visitors back into the contest.

Jay Rodriguez then scored his second to ensure there would be no FA Cup upset at Turf Moor.

Bournemouth thumped Luton Town after a brace from Philip Billing and goals by Callum Wilson and Dominic Solanke.

Fleetwood produced too little in their clash against Portsmouth.

Kenny Jackett's side went two goals ahead after James Bolton and Marcus Harness found the net before Conor McAleny's stoppage time strike.

Ten-men Birmingham left it late to book their spot in the fourth round over Blackburn while a Tom Eaves hat-trick for Hull, including a last-gasp winner, sealed a thrilling contest at Rotherham.

Millwall cruised past Newport as struggling Bristol City could only draw at home to Shrewsbury.

Elsewhere, Cardiff escaped an early scare to secure a replay against Carlisle after Callum Paterson and Gavin Whyte rescued them in the second half.

Southampton beat Huddersfield 2-0 while Reading were held to a 2-2 draw with Blackpool at the Madejski Stadium.

Non-League side Hartlepool got off to the perfect start against Oxford United after Mark Kitching found the net in the early stages.

But Oxford United showed their superiority as Robert Hall, Shandon Baptiste, Tariqe Fosu and Matt Taylor scored to win them the game 4-1.

Brentford beat Stoke 1-0 after Emiliano Marcondes scored on the brink of half time at Griffin Park.

And a hat-trick by Adam Idah was enough to fire Norwich into the next round with a 4-2 win over Preston. 

Source: Read Full Article