While addressing the firing of Mickey Callaway, Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen made it clear he won’t trade Edwin Diaz or Noah Syndergaard during the offseason.
“Before all those questions come, I think this group should be aware that Edwin Diaz is going to be on our team next year. That’s our full expectation. Noah Syndergaard is going to be on our team next year,” Van Wagenen said.
Diaz had a disastrous first season with the Mets after Van Wagenen’s big trade with the Mariners last offseason. Diaz had a 5.59 ERA, seven losses, seven blown saves and 15 home runs allowed in 66 appearances. Van Wagenen and Diaz both took heat for the closer’s performance, but the GM tried to put a positive spin on the 25-year-old’s season, saying, “he still did have 26 saves.”
Multiple sources told The Post’s Mike Puma that the decision to limit Edwin Diaz’s usage early in the season was a direct order issued by team COO Jeff Wilpon. In an effort to preserve Diaz, the reliever was prohibited from pitching beyond one inning and saved for the ninth.
“I was part of the conversations they had about Diaz. I never made any edict and certainly didn’t tell anybody what to do with Edwin Diaz or anyone else on the roster,” Wilpon said on Thursday.
Syndergaard has been involved in trade rumors dating back to last year, including during this year’s trade deadline. Syndergaard confronted Mets brass during the season to express his displeasure with pitching to Wilson Ramos.
Source: Read Full Article