Members of France’s elite RAID force are involved but authorities have not confirmed whether they have located the gunman, Cherif Chekatt.
More than 700 police have been hunting Chekatt after the 29-year-old managed to escape following a gunfight with police in the hours after Tuesday’s attack.
The gunman had yelled “Allahu Akbar” before opening fire and police were treating it as a terrorist incident.
Asked if police had been told to capture the killer dead or alive, government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux told France’s CNews: “It doesn’t matter. The best thing would be to find him as quickly as possible.”
A wanted poster issued for Chekatt warns: “Dangerous individual, above all do not intervene.”
Hundreds of extra police and soldiers are being deployed to guard other public places, especially Christmas markets, said French prime minister Edouard Philippe.
Chekatt had 27 convictions in France, Germany and Switzerland, and authorities believe he became radicalised while in jail.
He was also one of 25,000 people on the “S file” security risk – reserved for people suspected of extremism – and was being monitored since 2015.
Source: Read Full Article