Binge-drinking mum ‘kills her two-month-old baby while breastfeeding’ after he was found with SIX times the legal blood alcohol limit – The Sun

A TWO-month-old baby girl died after her binge-drinking mum breastfed her after knocking back 18 bourbon and cokes at a party.

Little Sapphire Williams, from Ahipara, New Zealand, died on January 2, 2017, and was found with six times the legal blood alcohol limit in her system.

A recent coroner’s reports in to her tragic death did not find a direct cause of death but found that booze intoxication and a dangerous sleeping environment were factors in her passing.

Her mum admitted to authorities that she drank 18 bourbon and cokes at her cousin’s house the day before her daughter’s death.

The alcohol in the blood from Sapphire’s heart was found at have 308 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood – six times the legal limit for a driver in New Zealand.

Baffled toxicologists performed the test a second time but the results were the same both times, the New Zealand Herald reports.

Coroner Debra Bell believes Sapphire's death could have been prevented.

She said: “Unfortunately, her mother chose to drink a large quantity of alcohol and subsequently at a later stage chose to breastfeed her.

“(The mother) accepts the alcohol in Sapphire's blood must have come from her consumption of alcohol. Sapphire's mother's actions highlight what has been well documented; alcohol can pass to a child via breast milk.”

Investigators found no suspicious circumstances at the family of nine’s home, it has been reported.

According to the post-mortem report, possible causes of death included acute alcohol intoxication, dangerous sleeping environment, prematurity, possible septicaemia and suffocation.

The baby and her twin sister Honey were born prematurely at 33 weeks in 2016.

However, Sapphire had missed prescribed doses of vitamin C and Iron, which had been left at the family’s old house, shortly before her death.

Her mother normally used formula milk to feed the child but would breastfeed to calm the baby down as she waited for the bottle to cool.

Can you drink alcohol when breastfeeding?

Good news mums, you can drink alcohol when breastfeeding – but only in moderation.

The NHS advise that mums have no more than two units of alcohol, twice-a-week.

To put that into context, one unit equates to a 25ml shot, half a pint of beer, or a 125ml glass of wine.

Which means one double spirit measure, a pint or a large (250ml) glass of wine is your limit for the day.

Regularly drinking more than two units per day can affect your baby's development, according to some studies, meaning it's just not worth the risk.

And boozing parents should make sure there's a sober adult on-hand to care for young kids.

Never share a bed or a sofa with your baby if you've had a drink, as this can increase the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Source: Read Full Article