Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza, already under fire for walking out on 500 people protesting unsafe schools at a Queens education council meeting, is now being blasted for saying the concerned parents were “grandstanding.”
“I feel that he is not a human — that he has no feelings,” Katty Sterling, who was confronting the educrat at the Thursday night meeting when he stalked off, told The Post Saturday. She is the mother of the 13-year-old whose cafeteria beatdown at MS 158 was captured in a viral video last week.
“If this was his child going into that situation, is he going to take it easy? It’s the second time my daughter was assaulted at school by the same student,” she said. “How should I feel if I’m getting ignored and getting no help?”
Reigniting her ire were comments Carranza made the morning after the forum to CBS News.
“It was unproductive,” Carranza shrugged. “People were yelling. People weren’t allowing anybody to answer. They weren’t allowing me to answer.
“It was grandstanding.”
Hundreds of parents and teachers from MS 158 Marie Curie in Bayside swarmed Thursday night’s meeting of Community Education Council 26 to complain about worsening bullying and violence in the classroom.
Increasingly agitated parents told the stone-faced chancellor about incidents of in-class sexual harassment and fights, video shows — until he silently rose and walked off the stage.
Mona Davids, president of the NYC Parents Union, reacted with fury to his latest comments.
“How can you say a parent is grandstanding when their child has been sexually harassed and assaulted?” she asked.
“With Carranza, the safety of our children is not a priority. Sexual harassment and assault is clearly not a concern.”
In December, The Post reported on a sexual assault the middle school, when a student sexually tormented a female classmate for weeks, ultimately exposing himself and grabbing the girl’s genitals in a classroom — but escaped serious punishment.
Her father, whom The Post is not naming to protect the victim’s identity, was at the meeting — and still fuming Saturday.
“Look at his face — no compassion,” he said of Carranza.
“This is why the schools are all in disarray. They are more concerned with covering things up than having the truth come out.”
City Councilman Mark Treyger (D-Queens), chairman of the education committee, said the incidents described at the meeting were “very concerning.”
“I empathize with the anger and frustration of parents and families when they’re not being heard,” Treyger told The Post.
“It should not have taken a town hall meeting for a parent to be able to voice this type of serious concern.”
Treyger said that he had allocated additional funds in last year’s budget for the DOE to hire seven full-time Title IX coordinators to help schools combat sexual assault — but said the department had never confirmed that the staffers had actually been added.
The unidentified father said he is on the verge of pulling his eighth-grade daughter out of the troubled school — even though she only has five months to go until graduation.
“The victim is more to blame than those who committed the crime,” he said. “But Carranza doesn’t want to answer.”
“He should have calmed everything down like a leader should do. But no, he said nothing, he just got out of Dodge.”
Additional reporting by Selim Algar and Susan Edelman
Source: Read Full Article