Cops say ‘no evidence’ girl, 12, who drowned in river heatwave was bullied – The Sun

COPS said there was no evidence that a 12-year-old schoolgirl who drowned in a river had been bullied, an inquest heard.

Shukri Yahye-Abdi died after getting into difficulties in the River Irwell, in Greater Manchester, on June 27.

Her family have claimed she was bullied by pupils at her school.

Det Insp Andrew Naismith, who is leading the police investigation, said there was “nothing to suggest” any third party involvement on Tuesday at the opening of an inquest into Shukri’s death.

He said: “There’s also nothing to suggest there was any bullying or coercion to get Shukri down there [to the river] at this stage.”

He emphasised the police investigation was “ongoing” and they were awaiting the outcome of an inquiry by Broad Oaks Sports College, where Shukri was a pupil, into the bullying allegations.

Police were also examining CCTV evidence from earlier in the evening, he said.

The inquest heard how Shukri, originally from Somalia, had gone down to the river with four other children to play after school.


Police were alerted around 8pm that Shukri was missing by her mother and they then received a report that a young female was in difficulties in the River Irwell.

But by the time officers got there it was clear she’d been in the water for “20 to 30 minutes”.

Shukri’s body was later recovered from the river and the inquest was told the provisional cause of death was drowning.

Det Insp Naismith appealed for “calm” on in the community and on social media in light of “very serious allegations” made against the children who were with Shukri at the time.

The hearing, at Rochdale Coroner’s Court, was attended by her mother Zamzam Ture and other family members, who’ve claimed her death wasn’t an accident and she was being bullied at school.

Campaigners also claim that Shukri's death is suspicious, particularly because the youngster couldn’t swim.

She was the third person to drown during the recent heatwave.

Two men, aged 25 and 26, tragically died after being pulled from the water at Babbacombe beach in Devon.

More than 53,000 people have signed an online petition calling for Greater Manchester Police to conduct "a full, transparent investigation into the circumstances leading up to and surrounding this tragedy".

Her mum broke down in tears when hundreds came out to mourn her daughter outside the Noor Ul Islam Mosque in Bury to watch the small coffin taken into the mosque.

Zamzam ripped a family member's hand as she walked out ahead of burial, and fainted a number of times.

After the burial, relatives and Somalian community members gathered outside the gates of Shurki’s school over allegations she had been bullied in the weeks leading up to her death.


BIKE TRAGEDY Tory MP Zac Goldsmith's 15-year-old niece dies in quad bike crash on farm

SQUALL TALE Thunderstorms strike today as Met Office warns of two days of intense showers

NUDEFEST 500 descend on UK's biggest naturist event for firewalking, silent disco and yoga

Dozens of people waving flags and banners chanted "we want justice" in the youngster’s honour.

Broad Oak announced last week that it was launching an internal inquiry into the family’s concerns about bullying.

The inquest was adjourned and will resume on 9 December.

Source: Read Full Article