Driver allegedly ran red lights before crash that killed teen, injured pedestrians in Carlton

Investigators have been granted more time to recreate the conditions of a major collision in Carlton that killed a 16-year-old girl and injured pedestrians after it was alleged the driver ran a string of red lights before his arrest.

Gulet Mohammed Ahmed, 40, from Essendon, faced Melbourne Magistrates’ Court remotely from prison on Tuesday, with the court told his charges had recently been upgraded after the teenager involved died.

Police investigate the cause of the crash in Carlton on Saturday.Credit:Nine News

On Saturday, March 11, police allege Ahmed crashed his Volkswagen Passat into an Alfa Romeo at the intersection of Lygon and Elgin streets in Carlton, injuring multiple passengers in the Romeo, including the teenage girl, who suffered critical injuries and later died in hospital.

The force of the crash also caused the Alfa Romeo to lose control and hit two pedestrians, who were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Aerial footage of the crash scene.Credit:Nine News

Ahmed was detained by bystanders until police arrived and remanded him in custody.

He has been charged with 16 offences, including culpable driving causing death, reckless conduct, dangerous driving and possessing methylamphetamine.

Court documents released to the press show that before the crash, police allege Ahmed failed to stop at the scene of an accident in Parkville.

It is alleged the 40-year-old then drove through a number of red lights, including those at the intersection of Flemington Road and Curzon Street in North Melbourne, and Elgin and Cardigan streets in Carlton.

Ahmed is charged with then running a red light at the intersection of Elgin and Lygon streets, where the fatal collision occurred.

Ahmed’s lawyers asked in court last week if their client could be seen by a custody nurse as he was withdrawing from drugs.

The crash scene.Credit:Nine News

When Magistrate Belinda Franjic asked on Tuesday if this had happened, Ahmed replied: “Yes, miss; yes, your honour.”

He did not apply for bail.

Investigators told the court they need until late June to complete further investigations, including scene reconstruction.

The matter will return to court in August.

The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article