Ex-Grammar school student, 19, died after taking ecstasy in Spanish club where temperatures soared to 116F and water cost £20-a-pint
- Alex Masterton, 19, was celebrating his A-level results at a nightclub in Barcelona
- Rave went on for 16 hours in sweltering conditions with water being expensive
- Alex apparently took four pills, thought to be ecstasy, which led to his death
Alex Masterton, 19, was celebrating his A-level results at the Barcelona club where temperatures soared to 116F
A former Grammar school student celebrating his A-level results died in the ‘unbearable heat’ of a 16-hour rave after taking some pills.
Alex Masterton, 19, who attended King Edward V Grammar School in Louth, Lincolnshire, died at a club in Barcelona in July 2017 while celebrating with school friends.
Despite the sweltering heat in the rave, water was expensive, with a 100ml bottle costing four euros.
He had been due to study Biomedical Sciences at Newcastle University in September 2017.
An inquest into his death concluded it was due to ‘misadventure’ after he took an unnamed substance, thought to be ecstasy, at the event at Elrow club.
At the time of the tragedy, a friend told a Spanish newspaper that Alex had taken pills but the public inquest did not confirm what they were.
Son-in-law of notorious murdered gangster John ‘Goldfinger’…
Police failings contributed to death of Wentworth Golf Club…
Share this article
Full toxicology results have been collated by the court and were used by coroner Paul Kelly to reach his conclusion – though he did not name the substance.
Spanish media reported that Alex, of North Thoresby, near Grimsby, had taken ecstasy at the rave on the night he died at the sweltering club with temperatures soaring to 116F.
Alex was believed to have been part of a group of 13 boys who had been on the trip to Spain and spent a week in the resort of Salou.
Alex died in the ‘unbearable heat’ of a 16-hour rave after taking some pills, which are believed to have been ecstasy
Alex was believed to have been part of a group of 13 boys who had been on the trip to Spain and spent a week in the resort of Salou
They had stayed together in three rented chalets at an apartment complex.
A friend told Barcelona news-site Crónica Global : ‘The club was in the middle of nowhere. The water was expensive, four euros for a 100ml bottle.
‘You had to wait 15 minutes to drink the amount of people that were there. The heat was unbearable. No one spoke English.
‘We knew that Alex had taken pills. At one point, he collapsed inside the room.’
After taking his A-levels a King Edward V Grammar School in Louth (picture), he had been due to study Biomedical Sciences at Newcastle University in September 2017
Source: Read Full Article