Florida teen severely burned in NYE bonfire dies

The South Florida teen burned in a 2017 New Year’s Eve bonfire accident that scorched 95 percent of her body has died.

Layne Chesney succumbed Friday to organ failure after spending 16 months in the hospital battling third-degree burns, Treasure Coast News reported. She was 16.

The then-14-year-old was making s’mores at a friend’s house in Fort Pierce, Fla., on Dec. 31, 2017, when she threw gasoline on a bonfire, and the flames engulfed her.

Doctors told her family her chances of survival were slim.

She spent about a year at Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami, where she underwent more than 80 surgeries and numerous skin grafts, before she was transferred in January to a Shriners Hospital for Children in Galveston, Texas, which specializes in treating burns.

The girl’s mother, Wirz Chesney, said she was at her daughter’s side when she died, along with her grandmother, nurses and doctors.

“We are heart broken, but remain always grateful that she was a part of our lives and world — we just wish it had been for a lot longer with us here on Earth,” her mother wrote in a Facebook post that had more than 1,000 comments as of Saturday afternoon.

Source: Read Full Article