Lad, five, rushed to hospital with burns and blisters after eating 'hazardous substance' in school

A YOUNG boy was rushed to hospital after suffering burns and blisters on his tongue when he ate a 'hazardous substance' in school.

The lad, five, was taken from his primary school to the Royal Stoke University Hospital after blisters appeared on his mouth.

Firefighters, paramedics and police were all called to Oakhill Primary School, in Stoke, at around 1.30pm today.

It has been confirmed the youngster had ingested an 'unknown' substance.

His condition is currently described as 'stable'.

Parents arriving to pick up their children at the end of the school
found Rookery Lane blocked by fire engines – and the main gates to the school locked.

They were instead told to collect their kids from the hall.

Most read in The Sun

PREM STAR'S CAT ATTACK

West Ham's Kurt Zouma KICKS & slaps his pet cat in horrific video

'GOING TO MISS IT'

Good Morning Britain's Alex Beresford quits weather role after 17 years

NAME SHAME

People laugh at my son's name & say he'll never get work but he's made thousands

NO SHOW

GMB forced OFF AIR after technical crisis leaves Kate and Ben scrambling

One mum told StokeonTrentLive she arrived at the school to find
several fire cars and engines and the police's tactical support team
blocking the lane.

She added: "The main gates to the school were locked and blocked off
and children had to to be collected from the hall and not the normal
areas

"I just got a little annoyed because the school hadn’t told us what
was going on."

Staffordshire Police have now launched an investigation to understand
the full circumstances of the incident but confirmed it was not
'malicious'.

A spokesman said: "Police were called at 1.43pm to Oakhill Primary
School on Rookery Lane, following concerns over the welfare of a
child.

"Officers attended along with paramedics and crews from Staffordshire
Fire and Rescue Service.

"A five-year-old boy had sustained burns to his tongue after ingesting
an unknown substance.

TEACHERS' PANIC

"He was conveyed to hospital by the ambulance service where he remains
in a stable condition. Inquiries are continuing.

"There was no wider risk to any other pupils or any malicious
circumstances in relation to the incident."

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent the hazardous substance
team to the school, along with two crews from Newcastle and one from
Longton.

A spokesman said: "Firefighters were called at 1.34pm to Oakhill
Primary School following reports of a hazardous substance being
ingested.

"Upon arrival, firefighters found a five-year-old boy with burns and
blisters to mouth area. He was taken to hospital by ambulance.

"Fire crews remain at the scene along with officers from Staffordshire Police."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We were called to
reports of a medical emergency at Oakhill Primary School on Rookery
Lane at 1.29pm, one ambulance and a paramedic officer attended the
scene.

"We treated a young boy at the scene before taking him to Royal Stoke
University Hospital for further assessment."

    Source: Read Full Article