Man convicted of raping woman in East London park 23 years ago

Man, 40, is convicted of raping woman in East London park more than 23 years ago when he was a teenager after new forensic evidence emerged

  • The victim had been on her way home when her DLR train was terminated
  • Gulzar Hussain and a friend told he they could help her find a taxi back home
  • Instead the pair raped her and Hussain was found guilty in court last week 

A 40-year-old man dubbed ‘wicked and cowardly’ has been convicted of raping a woman in London more than 23 years ago.

Gulzar Hussain attacked the stranded woman in a park after promising to help her find a taxi. 

The victim, a woman then in her early 30s, had been making her way home after a night out with colleagues in Canary Wharf in October 1997.

Gulzar Hussain has been convicted of a rape from 1997 after forensic evidence tracked him down

Hussain attacked a stranded woman whose DLR train terminated early and left to find a taxi home 

When the DLR train she was on terminated at Shadwell rather than Bank she left the station in search of a taxi.

She was approached by two males, Hussain and a friend, who told her of a nearby taxi rank.

The pair led her to the King Edward Memorial Park in Wapping, where they raped her.

Police at the time were unable to identify any suspects but the case was reopened in 2007 when new forensic evidence helped identify leads.

Officers were able to identify Hussain in 2017 and he was convicted of one count of rape at Snaresbrook Crown Court last Thursday.

He is set to be sentenced at the same court on May 13.

Detective Constable Mark Crane said: “Twenty three years have passed since this wicked and cowardly attack was carried out by two males who were both aged just 17 at the time.

Gulzar Hussain was found guilty last week and will be sentenced in May this year

“They took advantage of the victim’s trust and subjected her to a horrific assault as she tried to make her way home after enjoying a night out with her colleagues.

“Though one man was convicted and jailed, the victim had to live her life knowing an outstanding suspect was still out there. At times it must have felt like justice would never be fully achieved.

“I am glad that a jury has seen through Hussain’s lies in court that it could not have been him. I hope now he will receive a substantial sentence, and the victim can achieve some peace of mind knowing both her attackers have been caught.”

His accomplice, Noor Hussain, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment in 2008.

Source: Read Full Article