JACOB Blake is out of handcuffs and police have left his room after a week in restraints in spite of being shot seven times in the back by a cop.
Blake, who is now paralyzed, woke up under police guard and handcuffed to his hospital bed in Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee last week, sparking further public outrage.
Police in Kenosha claim that Mr Blake was in custody for previous warrants and the handcuffs were policy.
Lt Eric Klinkhammer, of the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department, told the BBC: "Mr Blake is in custody for previous felony warrants.
"Our policy indicates that all people in custody outside of our jail facility shall be secured with restraints."
The Daily Mail reports that there as a three-count criminal complaint filed July 6, alleging criminal trespass, third-degree sexual assault and disorderly conduct.
Kenosha police has now dropped the alleged charges and vacated the hospital.
Blake, 29, was shot seven times by Officer Rusten Sheskey, 31, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on Sunday.
The 29-year-old's shooting has caused nights of protests in the city of Kenosha, where three people were shot on Tuesday night, two fatally.
Mr Blake's father, Jacob Blake Snr., spoke to reporters after visiting his son in hospital on Wednesday.
"I hate it that he was laying in that bed with the handcuff on to the bed.
"He can't go anywhere. Why do you have him cuffed to the bed?"
On Friday, Mr Blake's attorney, Patrick Cafferty, told media that Mr Blake was released from handcuffs and the outstanding warrants against him had been vacated.
Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers said he was concerned about the prospect of Blake being handcuffed.
He said: “I would have no personal understanding why that would be necessary.
"I can’t imagine why that’s happening and I would hope that we would be able to find a… better way to have him get better and recover.”
On Wednesday, Wisconsin Department of Justice released a statement to say that a knife was found in the driver's side floorboard of Blake's vehicle.
Source: Read Full Article