Prosecutors slammed after most investigations into Labour anti-Semitism under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership are dropped

PROSECUTORS have been blasted after most of the criminal investigations into Labour anti-Semitism were dropped without charges.

Scotland Yard shut 15 of 23 probes without anyone being taken to court – most of them after detectives asked the Crown Prosecution Service for advice on potential raps.


Seven cases are still being probed but there has been just one successful conviction in the two-year operation.

The development comes after Labour was hammered by the equality watchdog over its handling of the issue under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.

Corbyn critic and veteran Jewish Labour MP Dame Margaret Hodge, who has suffered anti-Semitic abuse, told The Sun: "I know from my own experience that this entire process is incredibly slow and inefficient.

“I have been waiting for two and a half years for the CPS and the courts to act against an individual who sent my office countless abusive emails and made several aggressive phone calls.

“I am left with the impression that the CPS simply does not have the resources to review many legitimate cases and is lacking the capabilities to properly conduct investigations."

Four party activists were arrested and one questioned last year over a dossier outlining alleged anti-Semitic social media posts was given to Met Commissioner Cressida Dick on LBC radio in 2018.

The files included threats made to throw two MPs off the top of a building, and a Facebook post saying a Jewish Labour MP was going to get a “good kicking”.

'NO FURTHER ACTION'

But the CPS ruled the activists' cases did not meet the prosecution threshold.

Police also handed over evidential files on five suspects to the CPS on February 10 – but no further action will be taken.

They then received a further ten allegations on February 26, but will take no further action in three of them – a decision taken by police. Specialist officers are assessing the others.

And after receiving advice from prosecutors about evidence on two people in March, they closed the cases.

In June, expelled Labour activist Mohson Rasool, 61, was given nine weeks' community service for sending a grossly offensive message online.

Stephen Silverman, of the Campaign Against Antisemitism group, added: “The CPS must stop ignoring Jewish victims and take anti-Semitic crime seriously.”

The CPS said: "The laws designed to tackle hate speech on social media set a high standard and there is a distinction between what is merely offensive or hurtful and what constitutes a criminal offence.

“Some of the messages were posted too long ago for a prosecution to be possible. In other instances it could not be established if the suspects had intended to stir up racial hatred or there was likelihood of such hatred being stirred up.”

It comes after Sir Keir Starmer refused to let Jeremy Corbyn come back as a Labour MP after Jewish politicians threatened to quit the party.

The current Labour leader said he will "keep this situation under review".

Source: Read Full Article