'Serial rapist's victim, 17, jumped naked from first-floor window to escape as mum lay tied up'

A SERIAL rapist’s victim jumped naked from a first-floor window to escape a horror house where her mum was tied up, a court heard today.

Joseph McCann, 34, is said to have bound a mother with electrical flex and forced her to listen to the muffled screams of her children as he raped them both.

Hours later he held a 71-year-old after snatching her as she did her shopping and a girl aged 13 in the pensioner's car while he sexually assaulted them, it is claimed.

McCann met the mum in a bar in Haslingden, Greater Manchester, in the early hours of Sunday 5 May and took advantage of her drunken state to take her home in a taxi, the Old Bailey heard.

When they arrived at her house, he tied to her bed using electrical wiring.

McCann woke the 17-year-old daughter and 11-year-old boy and he raped them both in the next room as the other watched, jurors heard.


It was only hours later when she managed to free herself that neighbours began to realise what the screams were they had heard the night before.

Jurors heard McCann might argue the sexual acts were consensual, or deny they ever took place.

The court was told the woman was “very drunk” and McCann “exploited her vulnerability” by going with her to her house in the taxi.

John Price, QC, prosecuting, said: “There were various comings and goings during the night at the house, of friends and family, until there came a time when apart from the woman and her two children, he was the only person there.

“It was then that he struck.”

I need the police. I just jumped out the window. He has got a knife. He cut me. I really hurt my foot.

While the 11-year-old boy cut his mother free from the wires binding her to the bed, the daughter leapt naked from the first floor fracturing her right heel as she ran to the home of relative where she called the police.

Her escape was captured on local CCTV and played to the jury today in a pixelated form.

She told them crying hysterically and gasping in pain: “I need the police. I just jumped out the window. He has got a knife. He cut me. I really hurt my foot.

“Please come before he hurts my brother and my mother.”

McCann left by the front door and escaped on a child's bicycle towards a bus stop.


From Haslingden he moved on to Ramsbottom, five miles away where a 71-year-old was loading her shopping into the boot of her Fiat Punto at lunchtime the following day.

Mr Price added: “He opened the door and got into the front passenger seat. She told him to get out.

“In response he punched her hard in the face and ordered her to drive.

“She was to be detained in her own car during the following five hours or so. Amidst other gross sexual indignity and violence inflicted upon her, she was orally raped by this man.”

It was not until 6pm that evening that she was able to escape at Knutsford service station on the M6 motorway – 30 miles from the place she had been taken. The 13-year-old girl escaped with her.

When he was interviewed by police he remarked, according to prosecutors: "If you caught me for the first two, the rest would not have happened."

The 11 complainants are aged between 11 and 71, and the offences are said to have occurred across five police force areas over a two-week period between 20 April and 5 May.

McCann, of Aylesbury, Bucks, denies 37 charges including the rape of a child under 13, kidnap, and sexual assault concerning 11 alleged victims.

The trial continues.

Source: Read Full Article