Shocking photo shows effects of coronavirus on partygoer's body

These shocking before-and-after photos show the devastating effect of coronavirus on a bodybuilder after he contracted the disease at a party.

Mike Schultz, a 43-year-old nurse from San Francisco, lost about 50 pounds during the six weeks he was hospitalized with coronavirus in Boston, Massachusetts.

‘I thought only a week had gone by,’ Schultz told Buzzfeed News.

However, when he talked to a nurse in the coronavirus ward where he had been sedated and intubated, he learned he had been there much longer.

Schultz reportedly had no underlying health conditions and said he normally worked out either six or seven times a week – but after his battle with coronavirus, the smallest tasks became a struggle.

‘I was so weak. This was one of the most frustrating parts. I could hold my cellphone; it was so heavy. I couldn’t type because my hands shook so much,’ he said.

Schultz posted a photo of how badly the virus had emaciated his body last week on Instagram alongside a photo of himself before he contracted Covid-19. He said it was exhausting just to stand up from his bed to take the photo.

‘I knew what I thought going in (about Covid-19). I didn’t think it was as serious as it was until after things started happening. I thought I was young enough for it not to affect me, and i know a lot of people think that,’ he said.

‘I wanted to show it can happen to anyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re young or old, have preexisting conditions or not. It can affect you.’

Schultz reportedly contracted coronavirus at a Winter Party Festival in Miami Beach he attended in early March with his boyfriend, Josh Hebblethwaite.

He arrived in Boston on March 14 and said he felt a little sick, but did not have a fever. However, two days later, Schultz and his boyfriend began feeling seriously ill. Schultz said his fever spiked to 103 and he had issues breathing, so the couple rushed to the hospital.

‘They took him right in and didn’t let me stay to say goodbye,’ Hebblethwaite said.

Schultz was given oxygen through his nose on the first day, then through a face mask before he was moved to a different hospital where doctors sedated him. He would ultimately end up being intubated for more than four weeks.

‘One of the doctors said early on I was probably going to be intubated, and it freaked me out,’ he said.

Now, Schultz is on the road to recovery as he regains strength in his lungs. He said he has received backlash online for attending the party, with some even saying he deserved to get sick, but he has chosen to focus on the positive reactions.

‘The negative stuff bothers me, but it doesn’t bother me that much, because I’ve gotten so much positive feedback,’ he said.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page

Source: Read Full Article