VETS are warning dog owners not to let pets eat hot cross buns because raisins will poison them.
It comes after Nicole Hellyer had to take Labrador cross Timmy and Jack Russell Sydney for emergency treatment when they snatched buns off a kitchen worktop and scoffed them.
Nicole Hellyer from Camberley in Surrey said: "Although we have a stair gate on the kitchen, they got in there and Timmy obviously decided to do a bit of counter surfing and helped himself.
"When I got in the floor was covered in mess and when I walked into the bedroom, I found empty wrappers from the hot cross buns.
"I got them straight in the car but although the dogs seemed fine – Timmy seemed full of beans, Sydney was just a little more worse for wear – I was so worried on the drive there."
The dogs were given an injection to make them sick and were both later well enough to return home.
'REAL WAKE-UP CALL'
Ms Hellyer, 35, said: "It's a real wake-up call as to what can happen, especially as Timmy is a crafty one. I'd warn other owners not to leave hot cross buns around at any time."
In another case, Amy James-Moore from Winchester, Hampshire, took her 18-month-old labrador Hetty to see the vet after it demolished half a pack of hot cross buns.
Ms James-Moore said: "I spotted the bag was empty and the children promised they hadn't eaten them. I knew right away it was bad news.
"The vet made her sick and you could see a huge amount of raisins coming up.
"She was feeling a bit sorry for herself and it was so scary as you just don't know what might happen."
Dr Laura Playforth, professional standards director for out-of-hours pet care firm Vets Now, said: "It's unclear exactly what causes the toxic effects of raisins but just one can kill a susceptible dog so real caution should be taken with foods, like hot cross buns, that contain them.
"The good news is the prognosis for grape and raisin toxicity is generally good if treated early.
Source: Read Full Article