Thousands of households owed £150 for energy bills urged to come forward and claim – are you one of them | The Sun

THOUSANDS of households are being urged to come forward and claim £150 to help with energy bills.

The cash is part of the government's measures to tackle the rising cost of living.

The Council Tax rebate is a £150 payment that was dished out to those who live in homes between council tax bands A-D.

Local councils started handing out the money in April 2022 and while a lot of households did receive the cash a lot of people have yet to claim.

Cornwall Council said it still needs to confirm the bank account details for around 5,500 council taxpayers in order to be able to pass on the £150 rebate.

The majority of the money was credited directly into the bank accounts of council tax bill payers' but some cash is still sitting waiting to be claimed.

Read more on Money


Millions face ANOTHER crippling energy bill hike – and reason will infuriate you


Bargain supermarket crowned better than M&S for Xmas dinner – & it's not Aldi

There are a significant number of taxpayers who do not provide their bank details to the council and as a result, the money was credited to their Council Tax accounts.

Cornwall Council says it has attempted to contact each individual affected but is now urging people to come forward.

Cllr David Harris, deputy leader of Cornwall Council and portfolio holder for resources, said: "This money was part of a package to help people meet the rising cost of energy bills, and we want to make sure everyone gets what they are entitled to.

He said that one of the key issues they have encountered when trying to track people down is that many residents think it is "too good to be true"and must be a scam.

Most read in Money


High street fashion chain with 180 stores across the UK sold to Next


DIY chain with 153 stores to shut more shops – it sells ‘the best’ Xmas decor


McDonald’s to make major menu change with seven new items in DAYS


Check if you’re eligible as Brits to receive £150 Warm Home Discount in just days

Cllr Harris added: “We will be writing once more to those still owed money, so if you have any concerns about this letter being genuine, then please access the homepage of our website."

It is unclear at the moment if any councils still have payments left unclaimed but we will update here if we get any further information.

How can I claim my Council Tax rebate?

Councils are responsible for deciding who is eligible and also making the payments.

Those who live in homes between council tax bands A-D should have started receiving their payment from April 2022.

People who live in council tax bands E-H are not eligible for the payment but there is a Discretionary Fund for these households.

How much you get can vary depending on which council you fall under.

If you are not sure which council to contact you can use the locator tool on the government website.

How you get the payment depends on how you pay for your council tax, and this is why some people have been left owing.

If you pay for your council tax by direct debit you should have received the payment directly into your bank account.

However, if you don't pay for your council tax this way you should have been contacted by your council and will have to actively apply.

You should have been contacted by your council via post, but if you are unsure or cannot remember receiving anything just contact them and they should be able to advise you.

Meanwhile, Martin Lewis' MSE recently revealed a bill check that could see Brits receive a £3,200 council tax rebate – even if they have been previously rejected.

Thousands more households are also set to get extra money off their council tax bills this month through the Household Support Fund.

We also reveal how moving house by just one mile could end up costing you £850 in council tax.

How to get help with council tax bills

If you are struggling with your council tax bill Citizens Advice recommends calling your council to discuss.

Missing just one council tax payment can leave you saddled with having to pay your entire bill for the year up front.

Ask your council if it will let you pay smaller bills over time. You'll probably be asked to commit to paying a regular amount each month.

If paying your council tax bill is leaving you short when it comes to paying for other essentials speak to your council.

Read More on The Sun


Katie Price’s heartbreak as son Harvey returns to hospital


I assumed tiny marks all over my son were a rash – his story could save others

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction of up to 100%, but this varies from council to council and is based on your circumstances.

You can still apply for a reduction if you claim Universal Credit as these are different schemes.

Source: Read Full Article