RoSPA issues Halloween costume safety guidance after Claudia Winkleman’s ordeal

Claudia Winkleman opens up about her daughter s fire injury, saying it was a life-changing moment

Halloween parties are always a fun break from the routine, however, unexpected accidents can result in a bad experience – with TV star Claudia Winkleman being an outspoken victim of this.

The RoSPA advisory follows a series of recalls involving Halloween costumes due to alarming safety concerns, including serious chemical and fire-related risks, as highlighted by consumer watchdog Which?.

When buying costumes or toys in England, Scotland, and Wales, consumers are encouraged to seek items bearing the UKCA or CE marks.

In the case of Northern Ireland, it’s advisable to look for the UKNI symbol alongside the UKCA or CE mark.

RoSPA underscores the importance of selecting Halloween costumes that meet safety standards for flammability.

Read more: Donny Osmond admits he’s ‘freaked out’ by his own wax figure ahead of Halloween

All components of a costume, such as wigs and face masks, should be flame-retardant in accordance with EN71 part 2, the established safety standard for the flammability of toys.

Shoppers are also informed products sold in the UK by members of the British Retail Consortium (BRC) are likely to adhere to a higher standard of fire safety.

These items are often labelled with the statement: “This garment has undergone additional safety testing for flammability,” offering an added layer of assurance.

RoSPA’s advisory aims to ensure Halloween festivities are not only enjoyable but also safe for all participants, especially the little ones.

The tips come after Strictly Come Dancing host Claudia Winkleman opened up on a terrifying Halloween accident which left her seeking help from the “world’s best clinical psychologist”.

Don’t miss…
Expert shares tips for a stress-free Halloween sticky decoration clean-up[TIPS]
Strictly stars ‘terrified to use haunted toilet’ after spooky encounters emerge[NEWS]
Only those with the best eyesight can spot the hidden ghost in under 12 seconds[INSIGHT]

Claudia was left broken-hearted after a shop-bought witch costume her daughter Matilda was wearing for Halloween caught fire.

It had brushed against a candle and burst into flames, leading the 51-year-old TV host feeling “scarred for life” at the sight of her then eight-year-old “on fire”.

The incident, which took place in 2014, left the little girl requiring “many surgeries” to fix the damage, while her mum was crippled by anxiety-ridden flashbacks.

Speaking to The Times, Claudia revealed she turned to close friend and clinical psychologist Tanya Byron, who helped her come to terms with the horror of what she had witnessed.

The traumatised star revealed she can no longer remember what life was like before the terrifying accident, which left a neighbour desperately trying to put out the flames with his bare hands.

  • Advert-free experience without interruptions.
  • Rocket-fast speedy loading pages.
  • Exclusive & Unlimited access to all our content.

Source: Read Full Article